Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Bulletin- Critical.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

Microsoft Security Bulletin MSO8-067-Critical.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS08-067.mspx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thanks so much, DSTM ... just wondering ....

My computer is set for auto updates from Microsoft - but is there a simply way to check to see if one has actually received that particular Security update on one's computer?

(For instance, when my Sygate firewall updates itself, a wee 'balloon' thing lets me know next time I boot the computer, etc ... but I've seen no balloon arrive from Microsoft).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hello MaraM,

I'm not sure if this is as simple as you want, but Belarc Advisor will scan the computer and inform the user if there are any critical missing Windows Updates. Belarc Advisor provides a lot of other information as well. It is free for personal, individual, home use. You can read more about it here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thanks so much, DSTM ... just wondering ....

My computer is set for auto updates from Microsoft - but is there a simply way to check to see if one has actually received that particular Security update on one's computer?

(For instance, when my Sygate firewall updates itself, a wee 'balloon' thing lets me know next time I boot the computer, etc ... but I've seen no balloon arrive from Microsoft).

Hi Mara,Easy enough to check. If you have auto updates set,I'm sure you would have it.
The Number is KB958644.
Go into Add and Remove,Tick the check box at the top( Show Updates),scroll down to bottom,and if you recieved the Critical Update,will say Critical Update for XP, KB958644,and the date installed. :thumbsup:
I haven't Belarc,Pandy,but will definately check it out.Thanks for the link.

EDIT. I misread the posts.Thankyou Orange Blossum for supplying the link.

Edited by DSTM, 27 October 2008 - 02:52 AM.

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Say what? LOL You're welcome? LOL

Actually.. I decided to post here because.. although I knew about the Critical update after I had gotten it.. I am curious if anyone knows anything more about newer security updates. MY computer auto installed 4 critical updates in the wee hours of this morning about 3 am. The updates were all for WMP 11 as far as I can tell.. Those being KB941569, KB929399, KB954154, KB936782. I am just curious because it was more updates off the normal schedule.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:10 AM

kb941569 Installed on 4/23/2008

kb929399 Installed on 3/16/2007

kb954154 Installed on 9/10/2008

kb936782 Installed on 8/15/2007

Probably not much help to you, but I got these from Belarc on my end. I have Windows Update set to Automatic. Can not say for sure why you just got them.

#7 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

Thanks DSTM - will follow your help in the morning and do appreciate it your kindness in providing the steps!!

And thanks to you too, Orange Blossom, for the info about Belarc Advisor - Wow, it'll tell me tons of things about my computer! Thank you again!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:33 AM

kb941569 Installed on 4/23/2008

kb929399 Installed on 3/16/2007

kb954154 Installed on 9/10/2008

kb936782 Installed on 8/15/2007

Probably not much help to you, but I got these from Belarc on my end. I have Windows Update set to Automatic. Can not say for sure why you just got them.

Belarc may be wrong, because Microsoft only published KB941569 on the 15th July 2008.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by DSTM, 27 October 2008 - 04:53 AM.

#9 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Uninstalling & reinstalling corrected the install date. No idea why they showed up that way, even in Add/Remove.

Edit: Not sure if there is a need to worry about this because I looked on another computer & it showed the install date as being on 12/12 2007. I suppose as long as updates are installed things are OK.

Thanks for the links. :thumbsup:

Edited by hillbillygreek, 27 October 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#10 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users