Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many computer isses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hello BleepingComputer. I've decided to start working on the desktop I haven't used in a long time. Right now, I'm using my laptop to post this because I have no internet access on my desktop. So here are my problems:

1. I have a slow shutdown time. This started happening after I dusted out my computer with a can of compressed air. I don't think any liquid came out of it, but I could be wrong. The computer still loads up like normal, everything is functional. I'm able to do everything I did before with no problems, so I don't think I damaged any hardware. However, after fixing some stuff up on my computer, I wanted to shut down so I clicked Start -> Shut Down -> Shut Down and the box disappeared. After that, it seemed like the computer wasn't even shutting down at all. I was able to move my mouse, I could open up folders and such, but I was unable to open up the Task Manager or see the properties of my computer. What could be causing such a slow shut down?

2. I sometimes have an unresponsive computer. While I was working on my computer today, sometimes my computer would just freeze and I would still be able to move my mouse around but I was unable to click ANYTHING and I was unable to show my task bar - which auto-hides. So, I tried unplugging and re-plugging my mouse - no luck. I plugged the mouse into my laptop and the mouse was FULLY FUNCTIONAL so I know it's not the mouse. What could be causing the mouse to act up like this?

Known Problems: I do have a "GeForce 8600 GT" and I just found out that I don't have enough power to run it. I can hear the fan of the GPU speed up, but then slows down and fails. My computer then ends up booting from the on-board GPU which is what I needed to do in order for me to work on my computer. I don't know if the insufficient power could be causing this or not.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like some tech support on these problems because I want to save some money and not want to buy another computer. But seeing how I've been through A LOT of crap with this computer, I might just end up buying another one anyways.

Thanks in advanced,

~Ragtimesolo

Edited by Ragtimesolo, 23 October 2008 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

I noticed that the topics at the top are the ones usually getting answered.

3-hour bump.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You made a post which indicates that you have an inadequate power supply...and various symptoms.

It seems to me that the known issue should be addressed by you...and maybe your various symptoms will disappear.

If not, they can be addressed from the perspective of knowing what is NOT the problem.

Louis

#4 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You made a post which indicates that you have an inadequate power supply...and various symptoms.

It seems to me that the known issue should be addressed by you...and maybe your various symptoms will disappear.

If not, they can be addressed from the perspective of knowing what is NOT the problem.

Louis

Question mark? How does this help?

#5 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:35 AM

Your post doesn't help me at all. I stated that I have an inadequate power supply but I wanted to know if that would cause me to have problems.

Help please!

Bump

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

YES It is very possible
An underpowered power supply can do all sorts of strange things
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

YES It is very possible
An underpowered power supply can do all sorts of strange things

I hope you're correct. I've purchased a 500W PSU so I'm hoping that nothing will go wrong.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

It looks like the minimum wattage for that card is 350W, it doesn't list a 12V rail amperage. A 500W PSU should be more than adequate. You have multiple issues, and the only way to treat them is one at a time, this may not solve all of your problems, but it will certainly remove one question from the list.

The people here helping are all volunteers who have lives outside of these forums, and because there are so many members seeking help, sometimes it just takes time to get around to everyone.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users