Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Drive Letter Assignment on Boot Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hey Guys,

Heres the issue. I recently did an install of XP home on a new HDD for a customer after their drive went dead. Not realizing, the install mapped the boot drive to F instead of C. Customer called up complaining that he could not install programs, etc... I wanted to go back and change the drive letters through the registry, but after doing some reading, found that changing the system drive letter after install will make windows act screwey, sometimes not even allowing a boot. I personally can live with a diff. drive letter, but the customer seems to not be able to.

I have read one or two posts about using XXclone to clone the system drive to a new partition mapped to C, then deleting the F partition. As i have never used this program or method, i am a bit skeptical, and/or lost at the same time. What do you guys suggest as the best method to change this drive letter and not disrupt the operations of the system?

Thanks in advance for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

You could try the method given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

But I can't guarantee it will work.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:19 PM

Until I saw that link provided by budapest, I thought that a repair install was the most efficient, reliable way of doing this.

35 minutes is nothing in my world...but 2 minutes is quicker :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks i saw this link before i posted. It specifically says

"Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else."

and

"This article describes how to change the system or boot drive letter in Windows. For the most part, this is not recommended, especially if the drive letter is the same as when Windows was installed. The only time that you may want to do this is when the drive letters get changed without any user intervention"

So basically that fix does not apply in my situation. My co-workers say that a full reinstall is necessary, with all drive devices removed except the HDD and the optical, however this machine has no other drive devices (card readers etc...)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

thanks for the help but

"Before you modify drive-letter assignments, note the following items:
Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in."

it comes down to me doing another full install, but how am I to know if windows will map that drive to a letter other than C again?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

Again...a repair install (with the Windows drive as the only hard drive installed, along with one optical drive) changes the boot partition/drive letter to C:. All temporary drives should also be temporarily disconnected so that they don't interfere with drive letter assignment.

If you want to do a clean install...go ahead and do so :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 rexbenefit

rexbenefit

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

Will the repair install interfere with any programs already on the computer?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

All you need to know at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm AND How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

#10 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

thanks for the help guys, i ended up doing a clean install, as it had only been a matter of days since the first one, there wasnt any important data on the machine yet. ive got another issue to ask about, as per my boss' request, so check my new thread

-Tenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users