Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Posible ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

A friend asked this.

"My computer came with xp and now has Vista. I want xp back but dont have any cd's. Is there a way to obtain my old xp back without the cd's? "

I have know idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 23 October 2008 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemiReticent

DemiReticent

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

That depends on how Vista was installed in the first place. If XP was uninstalled and then Vista was installed, you would need original install CDs in order to get the XP operating system back. In that case, you could probably request XP installation CDs from the vendor of the computer hardware that originally configured the operating system.

On the other hand, if it's even possible to install an operating system on top of an existing one, I would personally not recommend it and wouldn't know what to do if this was done.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Not legally, unless you have a restore partition or restore CDs from an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.).

There must be only about 1 trillion XP CDs floating around this world...do you mean to say that you don't know anybody with one who would burn you a copy or lend you theirs?

Of course...you need a valid XP license/key of your own or there is no point in looking for a CD.

Louis

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for thr replies.

Louis I have know idea what the guy is wanting to do other to go back to where he was prior to having installed Vista.

I think he is worried that XP is gone forever now that he has installed Vista ???

My guess is he has all the legal CD's to get the job done but does not know how to go about it.

I do know all my stuff is legal and my bet his is also. He asked a question and my not knowing anything about computers I came to Bleeping Computers for some help.

Thanks again for the help.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

I think I made Louis angry. Sorry if I did Louis.

Any other thoughts. Here is what happened. The guy got rid of XP and installed Vista. He does not like Vista and wants to put XP back on his computer. He has tried unsucessfully. Maybe bits of Vista are still hanging around ?

He has all the disks that came with the computer (which he bought new). Sorry if this is a lame question but I don't know the answer to it.

Once XP is removed from your computer and you have installed Vista, can you go back to XP ?? If so could you please advise how it should be done ?

Thanks for your time.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

No, I wasn't angry...did not see anything to get angry about :thumbsup:.

I didn't answer because I thought any answer was obvious...a clean install is predicated on deleting any previous O/S installed on that partition/drive. If the user has MS CDs, that's about as easy as it can get. If the CDs you refer to are recovery CDs of any type, then the situation possibly becomes more complicated.

If the system is one bought from an OEM (Dell, Gateway, etc.), then the owner/user needs to go back to the OEM and see if there is a path for reasonably downgrading from Vista to XP.

But there are any number of links that can provide general guidance on such:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9040318

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2287685,00.asp

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...amp;btnG=Search

The only comment I can make is that...seems to me that it might be a chore finding drivers for components which were not put together to run XP...and I will make my reminder that each install of whatever...requires a valid license to install that O/S on a system (without duplicate installing elsewhere).

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

The easiest solution here is to contact the manufacturer of the system for a set of restore disks. They're cheaper than a copy of XP and usually contain all the drivers that are needed.

The downside here is that everything will be wiped out - so you'll have to backup your stuff before doing it. Otherwise it'll be lost.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies ! I have passed the info on and also suggested that he join this web site. (once he gets his computer running again)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users