Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system folders not operating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dave_unreal

dave_unreal

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

I'm currently helping to fix a friends laptop.

The machine was passed over because it won't connect to the internet.

I've checked it and so far I've found some unusual problems. I've tried to include as many as possible however I haven't been able to test everything so I'm not sure if there are any other symptoms
  • [list=1]
  • The network connections screen is blank, and the intel proset/wireless adaptor is not available. The enable radio button is greyed out too.
  • When I checked the device manager screen it was blank. I was able to restore this by re-enabling plug and play. The network adaptors seem okay (ie no red crosses etc) on the device manager screen but the connections screen is still blank.
  • If I try to create a new network connection I can only select and option on the first screen (with the radio buttons for the type of network connection) and when I hit next I am taken to the finish screen.
  • I connected an ethernet cable directly to my router and normally I'd expect it to connect via the 1394 net adaptor but nothing happens.
  • I tried to transfer hijack this and sdfix over by SD card. Adobe picked up on some random pictures I had saved but when I accessed explorer the system would not recognise the device (there was nothing showing for e:)
  • If you try and access itunes an error message appears 'Itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not be possible'
  • It's a dell laptop with the volume mute, volume increase/decrease, pause/play buttons etc on the front. No matter how long or how many times I press the volume up button the scroll bar part stays at 0 (as if it's been turned right down)
  • Every time I start up the machine I get an error 'windows registry recover - One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful'
  • The program access and defaults folder shows on the start menu but instead of having a title it has 4 squares where the text would be.
  • Norton antivirus is the only antivirus program. When I try to open it from the programs menu nothing happens.
I've tried to add as much info as possible. Does anyone have any ideas about what has gone wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemiReticent

DemiReticent

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

I hope this comment isn't considered unproductive, but here goes:

If the computer is new and this is a suspected hardware problem, contact the vendor and make good on your warranty.

After a certain point in its life a computer will usually get to a point that it is no longer productive or even usable andócorrect me if I'm wrongóthis seems to be the case here. If the computer is older, it is probably time to retire the computer; or, if you prefer, back up all important data onto some external storage device or removable media (CD, external hard drive, etc.) and then format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from scratch. If it is a software problem, this will fix it, and you just have to reconfigure the system. Otherwise, if it is a hardware problem and the computer is relatively old, it is probably not worth the time to diagnose the problem, or the price to repair the computer's damaged hardware, and you might be better off just getting rid of the computer and purchasing a new one.

Bottom line is economics: if marginal risk (time, money) outweighs marginal benefit, it is not logical to pursue that course of action.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Worth reading:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

I agree that you should reset the computer to factory settings (after backing up the data), but would suggest that you run a hard drive diagnostic prior to this to ensure that you're not wasting your time with the restore. Here's a topic that has links to the most common hard drive diagnostic manufacturers: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users