Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot--please help me!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TexasMom35

TexasMom35

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hello all,

I am a single mom who needs your help! What happened tonight with my Compaq Presario (which is running Windows XP) has me completely dumbfounded. Basically, one minute the computer was fine. I shut it down when I was power cycling my router and modem and when I go to restart my computer, nothing happens. The hard disk begins to spin then stops. Sometimes "Compaq" will come up on the screen but then nothing else happens and other times the monitor won't come on at all. The little light stays orange, as if in standby mode.

I cannot boot from a CD. I already tried that. In fact the CD won't even spin. I cannot even open the CD tray when the computer is on. Well actually I can open it but only when I very first turn on the computer then after that, the button is unresponsive. I have also observed a low, muffled sounding buzz coming from inside the tower as I turn it on.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it time for a new machine?

Incidently, I have re-installed the OS many times, because I have teenagers. They have visited some sites and afterwards the computer has pop-ups and runs very slow. Against my better judgement, I let my 15 yr old on this computer today for the first time in about 3 months. And now the darn thing won't boot up.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:29 AM

It really sounds like either a power supply issue or a fried component (fan, cpu etc). If you are hearing a buzzing sound then that is not good. Unless you want to tear it apart and look inside I would bring it to a repair shop and let them test it.

It could be anything from a simple blown fuse to a failed fan that burned out the PC. Only checking it out or having it checked out will tell.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

OldTimer is probably right - but before you take it to the repair shop just pull out the mains cord from the back of the machine and also from the monitor (after turning off and unplugging from the wall of course) and then plug the cords back in as firmly as possible. Reconnect at the wall and see if that has made any difference.

If you're still in the same situation, well nothing lost.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 GymTeacher

GymTeacher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

I'm thinking power supply.

How old is the computer? Do you have an add-in graphics card? Unplugging the mains and waiting 30 seconds is a good idea. Can't hurt to drain down the system.

If the computer works fine for a couple of minutes, then I suspect a power supply problem and/or related fan issue. The fan could be running but way out of balance and drawing excessive power.

Let us know what happens next.

#5 TexasMom35

TexasMom35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. I was able to boot from my Windows XP disk and attempted to do a clean install of XP, twice. Both times during the installation the computer completely froze up in the middle of the process. I have just decided to put the computer in my closet.

I opened it up and on the side of the power supply was some blackish dust, like soot almost. Not sure what to make of it, but I think my computer is done for. Its five years old...maybe time to give up?

Thanks again for all your help.

Kim

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:58 AM

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. I was able to boot from my Windows XP disk and attempted to do a clean install of XP, twice. Both times during the installation the computer completely froze up in the middle of the process. I have just decided to put the computer in my closet.

I opened it up and on the side of the power supply was some blackish dust, like soot almost. Not sure what to make of it, but I think my computer is done for. Its five years old...maybe time to give up?

Thanks again for all your help.

Kim

Used parts are dirt cheap. If you think it's the power supply you should be able to pick up a used PS for about $10 to $20 at the local computer store. This is a project that you can do. Just be sure to tell them what computer you have. Some used a special power plug. If the computer can run WinXP it sound like a computer worth $30 or so. Good luck.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users