Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what to look when shoping for a good harddrive for gaming and downloading

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 red_xiii 420

red_xiii 420

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

I would like to know what specs I should be looking for, also I am interested in high longevity of the drive is there a way to get this info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darkestside

darkestside

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

You are looking for a low average seek time and a low average write time.

You want the hard drive to be 7200 RPM or faster.

You want the hard drive size to be anywhere from 80gb to 320gb, any larger than that will cause the hard drive to be a bit slower.

You want a 16mb or higher Cache if possible.

As for the life expectancy of the hard drive that's hard to determine. I would go with a Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Raptor. Stay away from: HP, Hitachi, Samsung, Excelstor, and ioSafe.

I myself would go for a 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda.

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users