Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

real player advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nina

nina

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

Hi. I just installed Real Player because Irfanview couldn't open an rm file. It did not give me an option for a custom install though I did get to choose individual file associations. Now realplay.exe is running constantly. Ending the process works for about 15 min. It also keeps reinserting itself in startup.
Any advice on how to get this under control?
Running xp right now.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:59 AM

Download "Real Alternative" and uninstall Real Player. Real Alternative will play the rm files for you without all the infuriating self promotion and data gathering of Real Player.
Just google, you'll find it.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 nina

nina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:42 AM

This sounds awesome!!
But I get the following message during installation:

"C:\Windows\system32\pncrt.dll
An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file:
DeleteFile failed; code 5
Access is denied."

Real Alternative offered me an uninstall Real Player option which I took. Could that be related to this?
Also, isn't the prog trying to tell me that it needs to erase pncrt.dll?
If so, can I just go and delete that from the system32 folder?
The only thing I tried was redownloading Real Alt in case dl was bad and I poked around to make sure Real Player was uninstalled.
But I don't know how to find out if uninstall was complete. Don't reg keys and stuff get left behind sometimes?
Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope I made some sense here.

:thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

I'm not familiar with that error.

isn't the prog trying to tell me that it needs to erase pncrt.dll?

Erase it and replace it, yes.

can I just go and delete that from the system32 folder?

Yes, uninstall both Real player and Real alternative (if you can) and see if you can manually delete pncrt.dll. Then run the install for Real Alternative again.
If you have a problem deleting that file yourself, reboot and delete it in Safe Mode. If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
Safe Mode

Let us know how you go.

Edited by Rimmer, 04 May 2005 - 06:07 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 nina

nina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I finally got it!
Real Alt is perfect!
I had to boot into safe mode because I kept getting a message saying disk was write protected or another prog was using that file. Does that mean that Real Player wasn't fully uninstalled?
The properties for pncrt.dll said that it was created by Real Networks File Version 6.0
Description:C/C++ Runtime Library. What other progs would have been using that file?
I'm pretty sure that was the holdup.
I'm really curious because I like learning about comps and this prob has popped up for me before.
Thanks for your help Rimmer!!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:39 AM

Real Alt is perfect!

That's good to hear! I'm glad you sorted it out. :thumbsup:

or another prog was using that file. Does that mean that Real Player wasn't fully uninstalled?

Probably one of the many "quality service agents" or other pieces of reporting garbage that Real Player strews all over your system. I wouldn't trust it to uninstall properly but I don't know for sure.

I'm really curious because I like learning about comps

Good on you! Do some Google searches and see if you can dig out what Real Player does install. When you find out come back and tell me!

Here's an interesting comment I found after an exhaustive 30seconds research:

Realnetworks practically invented spyware. They were sued for their privacy violations. They were sued again. Their spying drew the attention of the FTC. By now, the activities of RealDownload are well-known, as are those of RealJukebox. Would you trust a company with this record?

Quoted from: http://www.aluminumstudios.com/spyware/#realmedia

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 05:50 AM.

#7 nina

nina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:43 AM

Hi Rimmer

I am not as good at internet research as I need to be.
I ended up(lamely) over at bananaslug.com and found an interesting blogrant.
See 1st link at the bottom of this post.
Interesting because he got some sympathetic emails from real.com employees explaining why the product is so bad.
Includes an internal email where they wrapped quotes around the word uninstall, like I do when I want to show something is not what it really is. The blogger had a bit of fun with that one.
2nd link below.
His last post on the subject was the best. An email from a former consultant for Real Player that gives a satisfying yet scary explanation for Real Player's awfulness.
Quote is from 3rd link.

Real spent $2.5M in design fees and over a year and a half with my company. When the relationship ended we had produced detailed design documents that were about a foot high when stacked on top of one another. While we had designed solutions to all of these problems, Real ultimately chose to ignore them. Only some of the graphic design changes we recommended ever saw the light of day.

In my experience with Real, I found a company that had absolutely no respect for the user, that was supremely arrogant, and completely mismanaged by Rob Glazer and his team.

*sigh*

Well all this was great but still no list of files installed or anything like that, so I tried again and found a message board post that talks about how to do a complete uninstall. Last post made me a little(very!) nervous though, so I'm still looking into it. That's the 4th link below.
I know it's a lot of links but there some great stuff in there.

Real Rant:
http://jogin.com/weblog/archives/2004/02/29/real_obnoxious

Real Reply: http://jogin.com/weblog/archives/2004/03/06/real_reply

Real Proof:
http://jogin.com/weblog/archives/2004/03/07/real_proof

Possible uninstall help:
http://www.click-now.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:35 AM

Nice work nina!

I quite enjoyed reading those blogs (blogrants?) you linked to because they confirmed a lot of things I'd only suspected before. I thought it was very funny when someone referred to Real products as "devil's spawn" without even raising an eyebrow in the forum! :thumbsup:

Looks like uninstalling Realwhatever is not a simple task.

Thanks for your info. :flowers:

#9 nina

nina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:32 AM

No Problem!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users