Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer randomly reboots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aviator2600

aviator2600

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi all,
I have a PC that reboots when there is activity required of it. It always reboots when asked to install windows updates.
The event viewer gives ID: 7000 and the source is Service Control Manager. Explanation is " The exusb.sys IME control unit (GPUD) service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

This workstation has been in use for over a year with no problem and now reboots whenever there is a demand on its resources.

I replaced the onboard video with a AGP 128MB card and no change. This is a business system and I hesitate to reformat because of all the networking and business applications needed to reinstall. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

Here's a link to the company that provides the exusb.sys driver: http://www.cypress.com/
Do you have any of their products installed? If not, what's the make and model of your motherboard?

When you installed the new graphics card, did you uninstall the old video drivers and install new, freshly downloaded ones?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users