Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Combofix run on Windows 2k

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 budman123

budman123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

I am running Windows 2000 Pro SP 4.
Combofix instructions say: ... do not start Combofix yet...first install the Windows Recovery Console etc. It mentions XP and Vista but not 2K. Since MS no longer supports 2k I assume it won't provide the console for 2k.
Do I proceed with console download or ignore this step?
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

:huh:
please STOP before you go any further :(

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

May I suggest that, if you beleive you are infected, to post a topic giving any relevent detail in the Am I infected Section http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
where the Team can help you further :thumbsup:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please do as ruby1 suggested, and create a new topic, in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum, explaining the nature of your problem. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

This topic is now closed.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 budman123

budman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks to Ruby1 and TQ1911 for the warning...
I accessed Combofix at the direction of Nasdaq from Spywareinfo, who is the expert you mention. I reported my problem back to Nasdaq but haven't heard further for three days, so I thought perhaps I was supposed to get the problem resolved since I was asked to run the Combofix routine and send the log back for further instruction.
I have tried to follow each step of the instructions to the letter but don't know enough whether to use some initiative or simply wait step by step. I know the experts are doing this to my benefit, at no personal aggrandizement so I want to be sure to do my part.
I will wait to hear back from Spywareinfo and thank you for the direction.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi budman123,

I understand you were seeking help, but you really need to follow the instructions given on that forum. The reason is cross fixes can cause major problems. May I suggest contacting a forum Moderator/Admin and asking hm the status of your topic.

I will say that if their HJT forum is as busy as our is, there will probably be delays between posts. If you feel you have been abandoned, and have tried to contacted the board admins, then I suggest following this topic and posting a HJT log here. Again, expect a wait here as well.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 budman123

budman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hi and thanks for the info.

I have NO problem with anyone who has been trying to help me. I am simply not astute!
I also understand the wait is due to workload and sure don't want to add to that.... Just wanted to do what I am supposed to if that meant moving things along to accomplish what I was asked to do.
Long and short of it is that I am one of your least competent computer users but MOST appreciative of the work you folks do.
Thanks again

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

From the BC family, you are welcome.

Good luck with the malware problem! If we can help you with anything, please let us know.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users