Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help i think im infected, what now?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scuzzo

scuzzo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

Ok, so i think i have a computer virus. every time i try to view some site like youtube it locks up. and when i try to go to control panel it locks up, every time i try to down load some virus tool it locks up. as in locks up the browser stops working. my DVD burner is not working now i thought i could fix it through a repair option in on the windows vista cd rom. i have run a few virus scans and its not showing any threats. im at a loss here so i really dont know what else to do. first time i have been hit. Whhen i tried to log on to the internet my fire wall was disabled i did not do this it must have happened over night i realise im not providing very much information but i really dont know what the procedure is on for getting assistance. Please let me know what else i can do to try to fix this ulgy problem.. i would just reload Vista and be done with it but my dvd rom drive is now not functioning.. will not see the DVD or CD rom.

using Vista and i have AVG running all it picks up are the dang cookies..

i tried to download the Hijackthis tool. i am not able. i guess the virus must be blocking it.
so now im not able to
use the dvd will not see dvd or cd
down load from certain sites like hijackthis or other virus protection sites and it will not connect to the site (Not Responding)
and when i try to access items like control panel it lockups the computer (Not Responding)
cannot view the youtube site it has i2.ytimg at the status bar at the bottom and the just crashes the browser(Not Responding)
the only way i can close out is to go through the Task Manager and close the process..
i have tried to install a number of different trojan detectors when ever i try to install them i get the spinning hour-glass and (not Responding)
tried to install MBAM i get the spinning hour-glass and (not Responding)
cannot access System Restore(not Responding)

Any ideas on a course of action???

Edited by scuzzo, 23 October 2008 - 05:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

hey thanks for the help... :thumbsup:

now i feel kinda foolish so here is the story.

Edited *********** not fixed yet will follow instructions and report back

chris

ran AVG virus check Generic10.AGMV
hupigon 4.RCG but this is suspect may be false positive

Edited by scuzzo, 24 October 2008 - 01:31 PM.

#4 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

Nice to hear the problems are solved. :thumbsup:
Have a nice day.

#5 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

strike that all its all going wrong again i guess i will delete my last post im back to bleeping square one!! sorry but im getting a bit miffed on this.. i will follow your instructions and post my results..

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 71,569 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

No problem ,we'll keep an eye on it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

ok so an up date.
ran a scan and found the reg has been altered with Broken.Open Command. i will follow the directions above and let the malware scanner fix this problem if possible. will up date in a bit

#8 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:43 AM

here is my report.. the broken.open command--- was indeed a problem.

--- snip
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1327
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

10/27/2008 8:17:27 AM
mbam-log-2008-10-27 (08-17-15).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 46905
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\ (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

i really had to run through hoops to get this puppy fixed. i dont know how safe mode works when i use it, it dissconnects my Cable internet. but i did run the malware cleaner, and i "think" things are ok now.. will keep my thread updated as to results.

is it a good idea to have a program that watches the reg.. i had one on my win 98 machine but. it would keep any changes from being made but i thought Vista kept a watch on the reg for activity..

#9 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:29 AM

ok 3 hrs into fix.. thing runs like a scalled dawg.. man this internet is a rough place. lots of nasty suprizes

fixed reg.. every thing is running like new. im just waiting to see if the virus is gone or just sleeping.

#10 scuzzo

scuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

close this one out,, clean system after i got that close.open fixed on the reg.. computer runs 50% faster and no or at least not very many crashes... Vista dont ya know.

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for letting us know the outcome :thumbsup: Glad all went well.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users