Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i can not get on my computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 orlymopy

orlymopy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

i try to get on it and it just will not get to the desk top. it starts up says loading files and stuff shows the desk top for one sec and says saving settings and takes me back to the log in screen. idk what to do. i do not have the coad or the cd for xp because i got this from a friend who died a wile back. i was using combofix with the xp boot disk to get rid of a virus. then it restarted and this happend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I presume this does not relate to this computer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=169181&hl= that has just been cleaned?

I note you say you have used ComboFix on the computer?Did an Expert instruct you to do so as,

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer

including it being rendered forever unbootable :thumbsup:

#3 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

ya i was trying to get rid of the same virus i had on a friends computer and that is what it did. so this is not my comp with the prob this is my friends.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

You ran the ComboFix tool on the other computer under direct guidance from a Malaware Expert who is Trained in its use and effects ; you then ran the tool on this next computer 'unsupervised '?

Unless the tool is run as directed BY an Expert a computer can be rendered forever unbootable ......

of interest, what virus were you trying to remove and what antivirus protection was on board?

#5 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

i was trying to get rid of the same one in that other form i posted. so yes i did do that. no anti virus was running. i am not totally stupid. do you have any ideas? plz help

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

You COULD try installing and using the Recovery Console ..if it will let you Install and Use |Recovery Console in XP

however, I think you may have found a reason why you should NOT use ComboFix unsupervised :thumbsup:

#7 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

i actually have it on the computer but what do i do with it. and i know not to use combofix now without a pro. so i have it what do i need to do with it.

#8 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

ok so i have Recovery Console what can i do with it plz help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

Go into the Recovery Console...better yet, follow the instructions at http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Click on How To Access Recovery Console and follow the instructions for the first three screens.

The command that you want to type is chkdsk /r (with a space between the k and /) and then hit either Enter or OK. Allow it to run to completion. When it finishes, type exit and hit Enter. System will reboot.

Post any error messages which you receive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#10 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

ok so i did that but it never got any were after like five hours of going up to 80% then coming back down to 50% and others it was all over the place. any way i stopped it do you have any outher sujestions. could i make a back up flopy for service pack 3 then is there a repair or something. or could i use another xp cd to fix it. if so would it matter if i use a home on a pro?

#11 orlymopy

orlymopy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

ok some one plz help i really dont know what to do would it be ok if i just used my xp home edition on there computer i have one and they for sure have home so would that work to do a restore?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

I usually don't bother to ask this...but, why did you stop the chkdsk /r?

5 hours is nothing, if chkdsk /r has not been previously run routinely...and the hard drive is a large one. I've run chkdsk /r overnight on some rather large drives which were in sore need of it. You posted your initial post over a week ago...and you thought 5 hours took too long :thumbsup:?

As for your "restore"...it depends on what that word means to you and what sort of XP Home CD...and, of course, appropriate license for same by the intended user.

Since your issues seem to have been related to malware, a clean install is what I would recommend. That won't save anything but it will ensure that no remnants (or effects) of your malware situation remain.

Louis

FWIW:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2008 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users