Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Decoders?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

Hi,

I unfortunately have a same question about decoders that I had before. Apparently Windows Media Players do NOT have decoders in them. Is this right? I've lost the ability to use my PC DVD player twice now and it's the only DVD player I have so I'm hoping to find a real solution here.
Anyhow, the first time was when doing a total reinstall causing me to lose WinDVD 4 (which apparently has a DVD decoder), which I got with the purchase of this computer. I talked to the person that I bought the computer from and they said just go on line and get a free WinDVD Player with one in it. Well I have yet to find any forever free Win DVD Players of any version. So I then downloaded a trial WinDVD Player 6 for two weeks. Now the two weeks are up and after uninstalling the WinDVD 6 nothing works again. I unistalled it thinking I can't use it anyhow. Was that right? Is there a forever free version of WinDVD or anything with a DVD Decoder in it? Where would I find such a creature? Will the decoder stay on if I don't uninstall after the free trial? I would think not myself.
Anyhow, is there or is there not such a thing as a forever free DVD Decoder? And where and how would I get one? And if not where is the best deal?
I thought I'd ask here first before trying the person I bought my PC from again.
Thanks.

John

Edited by Johnz414, 02 May 2005 - 11:13 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

When i bought my DVD player it came with WinDVD. (I use Linux so i tossed the disk)
See my other post regarding MaximusDVD
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...opic=15910&hl=#

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

You are correct - your decoder will stop functioning when the trial period is up.
I built a PC a year or so ago and bought a DVD drive to go in it, only to find there was no software included. The best I could do was to download WinDVD online, at that time it cost about $15 which was fine just a stupid inconvenience.
I've tried WinDVD, some other thing I've forgotten and PowerDVD on my own system and got the best results from PowerDVD. If you do have to buy I'd recommend that one.

Edited by Rimmer, 03 May 2005 - 07:29 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

Dear John,

Dvd Decrypter and DVD Shrink are free and will be free. Used together they will burn any DVD. Very well indeed.

Donations at their sites are a welcomed payment.

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users