Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard drive is making noise

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

After I moved my computer Started making noise. I took it apart and cleaned the inside checked the fans and determined it to be the hard drive. At least I am 90% sure. The sound is constant and when the light is flashing it is louder. In order to prevent loosing everything on the computer What kind of options do I have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

If it is a clicking noise, the hard drive is getting ready to fail. I would not use the computer until you have a plan of action in place on how to retrieve what you want to save. It is hard to say when it will fail, but you know it's getting ready to
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

FWIW: Loose connections also cause hard drives to develop a clicking sound, IME.

If the noise sounds like a rumble and coincides with light activity...I'd have to say that your hard drive needs to be defragged pretty quick.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

You also need to get an external storage drive of some kind and run a backup before anything happens

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

Probably going to get a new HDD today is there some way to swap it out and make it seem like I never did? I guess what I am trying to figure out is how I get the info from the old drive to the new drive? If I back up to an external drive can do the opposite back to the PC. Or am I just copy and pasting? I just want to do this in the easiest manner?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

IMO, the easiest way...would be to clone your current hard drive...to the new one.

That requires software capable of cloning partitions...such as Partition Magic and other programs.

Louis

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Where do I find info on that. Does the software cost anything?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

What kind of computer do you have? A laptop or desktop? And what is the make and model? Do you have the installation disc for the operating system?

If you purchase a Seagate or Maxtor there will be a disc that comes with it which includes Acronis's True Image which is a program for cloning your old drive... it it is still viable at that point. Seagate owns Maxtor, and has a great product with the longest warranty of any of the manufacturers, you won't go wrong with a purchase from them.

If you have the installation CD, another option would be to install the new hdd and load the operating system, then install the old hdd as a slave drive. This configuration requires that both hdds be connected via a IDE cable, the new hdd will need to have the jumper on the rear set to Master, and the old hdd will need to have the jumpers set to Slave. This tutorial will show you every thing that you need to know for this.

Once the two hdds are connected you can open Explore and drag files from the old hdd to the new one, or copy and paste them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:00 AM

...but you will not be able to transfer programs installed, using the method indicated as a 2d option. This is assuming that you have a Microsoft XP CD, not recovery/restore CDs.

Only data files are capable of being transferred by that method...whereas cloning will just make a complete copy of the existing partition on another drive.

Information about the system manufacturer and model would be useful.

Louis

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

If the applications were downloaded and the person saved the setup it can be copied and used, so you actually can transfer application using this method. I keep four freeware applications on a flash drive for troubleshooting purposes, they were transferred there by the same means.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

So if I CLONED the drive I would have an identical drive? And I could in theory install the new drive and be the same as I was before. Then I could take the old drive and put it into another PC that was compatible with the OS and programs and have two identical PC's as far as software goes?

Desktop Emachines W3615 1 gig of ram SP1 I think I have 149 gig HDD with 2 partitions one is the recovery partition

Did not get the new HDD yet gonna go tomorrow to BB.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

<<So if I CLONED the drive I would have an identical drive?>>

Yes. A cloned drive is an identical copy of the contents, although some cloning programs allow users to change the size of the cloned partition.

<<And I could in theory install the new drive and be the same as I was before.>>

Yes, if "same as I was before" means that you would have all files available and working which were on the original drive.

<<Then I could take the old drive and put it into another PC that was compatible with the OS and programs and have two identical PC's as far as software goes?>>

Yes and no :thumbsup:.

Yes, you would then be able to put that drive in a computer that was exactly like the one you removed it from...and it would work.

No, you cannot run two activated versions using the same key...in two different systems. One activation per license.

If the license is failing...that's a bad plan anyway. The best that I would suggest for a drive that is suspected of having problems...is to use it for nonessential data storage only.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users