Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to copy a hard drive and all contents to another one with an operating system already on it but dont want to lose information on either

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

I need to copy all the contents off of and including the operating system of an Widows XP Pro onto a bigger hard drive that has Windows Xp home are there any good freeware programs out there that could help me do this and to be able to dual boot both operating systems to access the information from both?
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

If you have a Seagate or Maxtor hard drive you could use the Seagate Disk Wizard which incoporates a copy of Acronis True Image. This is bundled and may only be applicable to these two drives, I also don't know exactly what the difference is between this and the retail version.

I don't know of a freeware that will do this, at least that I could recommend.

Edited by dc3, 23 October 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

There are plenty of free imaging utilities out there - but I'm not familiar with them.
There may be difficulties in moving XP from one hard drive to another - I'd suggest reading this article before proceeding: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

ok, i read artical but doesent say much about putting two differant windows operating systems on one hard drive and being able to run both from same computer. I may not be able to to do this and i accept that, is there an option to possable be able to put my 250 gig hard drive into the xp pro system as a slave drive and copy paste all info off of it onto the other one?
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

If you expect one program to do all these different functions...good luck.

You seem to want two things:

a. A dual-boot. Nothing particularly hard about that.

b. You want software capable of cloning an existing partition. Requires specialized software, but plenty of such software around.

I think you need to understand that this should be a 2-stage process...clone the partition to a hard drive first, then setup your other operating system as your dual-boot. All that should involve is a little editing of the boot.ini file of the XP Home install. Members here can guide you through that.

Louis

#6 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

ok i havent even started the process yet. I just want to make sure i have all my ducks in a row and know EXACTLY what i am doing before i start this. theres a lot of information on both hard drives i want to put on to one. what im doing to explain a little further into detail it going to try to transfer all info off the XP pro hard drive to the 250gig XP home, then take the xp pro hard drive and put in the old machine that the XP home came out of and reinstall XP home on it so my son can have a working computer. I hope this makes sense LOL.
Posted Image

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

You do understand, of course...that you require a valid license every time that you install an O/S on a system?

That means: dual-boot requires two licenses, each additional install requires one license.

Net result: 3 licenses needed for 2 systems.

Louis

#8 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

ok scratch the two systems on one hard drive i just want the files from one on the other then im going to switch the hard drives to differant machines, i want the big hard drive in my computer and the smaller one in another. both have valid xp operating systems on them. I understand that i will have to validate them both upon reinstalling them to seperate motherboards and that is fine. Although i recently bought the xp pro from a computer repair shop and dont have install disks or the serial numbers for it it is however a valid copy

Edited by Nooodle, 23 October 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

#9 DemiReticent

DemiReticent

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

If you don't care about the installed programs or specifically whether each hard drive has XP professional or home it is probably a better idea just to use some removable storage (like an external hard drive) to copy the personal data that you do care about from one hard drive to the other in stages (do a few GB at a time) until you have everything that you want on the desired computer. Then delete all of your files from the computer you want to give to your son and just save the hassle of copying the whole hard drive or any sort of disk formatting that you may plan to do. Leave program files alone as any programs that you want on your computer should be installed directly on the computer rather than brought over via file transfer.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

By imaging, it seems that you hope to avoid the process of a clean install.

Well...if you are going to put those XP installs on completely different systems/motherboards...a clean install is the best solution for each, IMO.

IMO, you are creating more work for yourself with your approach...and the end products are NOT guaranteed to work properly, once these transformations are done.

But...these are your systems and you can do whatever you want.

A couple of links that may be useful:

Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall - http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/fo.../1400925745/p/1

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

Louis

#11 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Sounds good, Thank you Guys for all the helpful information.
Posted Image

#12 thyde9337

thyde9337

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Provided you can mount both hard disks on your computer you can use the Windows Backup routine to copy files and folders from one to the other. On my computer the program is labelled NTBACKUP.EXE and it allows me to selectively backup folders and files. I have used it and it works fine. I have not used it for cloning, which is a different process.

thyde9337
My System. Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 1024Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 160Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Dell Photo All-in-One printer. Iomega 500Gb hard disk. Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, HP Scanjet 3300c. Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN.Netgear RP614 v2 router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users