Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Resolve DNS/WINS Issue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

Machine is connected to a domain based network with a Windows 2003 Server.
The PDC is also running DNS.

The workstation in question is the only machine in the network with these symptoms.

There are two machines on the network, named (not really):
Obama 172.16.0.7
Palin 172.16.0.3

From the workstation in question only, if I ping Obama it returns 172.16.0.7. If I ping Palin it returns 172.16.0.7 (???)
If I ping the FQDN of Palin it returns 172.16.0.3, If I ping -a 172.16.0.3 it returns Palin
If I ping -a 172.16.0.7 it returns Palin (???)

Again, only on one workstation in the network.

It is running WIndows XP 5.1 SP3

I have flushed dns, immediately shut down dns client and rebooted. I have changed multiple settings. I have set up an lmhost file that lists the two machines and had them pre-loaded. Nothing seems to change this. I'm at a point my next move is to uninstall and reinstall tcp/ip.

Interesting stuff but it's driving me nuts. Lots of connectivity issues with this one machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users