Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons Disappear Randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I noticed this last night.

Posted Image

as you can see, show desktop icons is set however they arent there...

Posted Image

Here's the basic rundown.. I installed Adobe 9, (with its :huh: addon adobe air) :huh: but i prevented adobe air from completely installing, by simply denying the changed from my firewall. :huh:

The Adobe donwload manager was still on the desktop, and I wanted it gone, so i erased it with DoD style 7 pass wipe. :) (after trying to drag it to the recycle bin, only to have explorer crash and restart with it still on the desktop.)

Anyway, I found out that Adobe Air did in fact partially install, and I removed it from the programs and features area.

How do I make it so my desktop icons don't disappear? B) :huh:
and why is adobe like this? what is their problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

It would seem the icons disappear whenever the computer goes idle.

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Now i think it has something to do with my power4gear extreme power settings.

Quiet office removes the desktop icons.

but I don't know how it got that way.

#4 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Hmmmmmm seems Windows Installer is whacky on Vista anyway. I used to have a program that asked me if I wanted to install it every time I ran it(and yes it was already installed.) Turns out there's a Microsoft tool you can download from MS that cleans out some of the Windows Installer garbage. That cleared up the thing of it asking me to install stuff, but if I try to create a Restore Point via a script that works in XP, it won't work. Some of the WMI system information stuff is hosed and I had to go through hell to get rid of some of the OEM crap that came preinstalled.

Generally I don't like firewalls. They protect your system by making sure nothing works right! I use the Router protections and Sandboxie when I want to safe surf.

Anyway, I would search MS knowledge base articles. It may be related to Windows Installer Vista quirks.
Also if Adobe has a forum you may find other people that already fixed what you've got.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users