Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sowar.vbs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iriehigh

iriehigh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

Guys! help me,please! this sowar.vbs won't go away! i can't open my task manager and it has changed a lot of the registry items in my pc! i am using an xp pro sp2. help me. it always changes my IE homepage.

there's this NUDE SSG Sex Scandal file which is a VBScript File that won't go away too.

what do i do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maniac

Maniac

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:32 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Posted Image

#3 iriehigh

iriehigh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

Man! Thanks to the good Lord you gave me this tip! Thanks to you as well man! I can now run my task manager and I don't think there are any threats left in my pc! thanks man! :thumbsup: here's the report:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1313
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/24/2008 10:18:04 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-24 (22-18-04).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 51369
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions (Hijack.FolderOptions) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr (Hijack.TaskManager) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

How to Remove sowar.vbs Virus

CAUTION: These steps involve making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own.

To fix the "Long Live Sowar" message in the title bar, see How to Change the Internet Explorer Window Title (be sure to read the section on backing up your registry first) or you can try using ieclear.bat by IE MVP Hans Le Roy which will reset the title to Windows default.

To fix the restrictions on Folder Options, please download sreng2.zip and save it to your Desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Sreng2 (C:\Sreng2) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on SREngLdr.EXE to launch it.
  • Select System Repair from the left pane.
  • Click on Windows Shell/IE.
  • Put a check mark in the box next to Enable using Folder Options
  • Click Repair.
  • The Status should now show Ok.
  • Exit and reboot your computer.
Then download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

When done, check for and remove any Startup RUN values by downloading and using Autoruns.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users