Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I recover an encrypted user profile after a motherboard failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Farinhir

Farinhir

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hello and thank you,

Here is the problem. My sister owns an HP Pavilion a775c which seems to have undergone motherboard failure. She had her XP user profile encrypted a while back, and has some irreplaceable files contained within that user profile.

The computer went out when it went into sleep mode the other day. I was at her apartment and decided to check something out online, only to find that the computer would not respond at all. I tried to power it down (its power light was lit up) and reset it only to find that it would not reboot after it was powered down. When I would press the power button it would not do anything at all. It would not do the false start (power on then power off right away). I did not even show any signs of being connected to a PSU. I concluded that it was either the PSU or the motherboard, so I replaced to PSU with another that I had around (which I know works). Even then there was no response with the system. This has me at the conclusion that it is the motherboard rather than the PSU.

I would be able to help her replace the motherboard, CPU, and whatever else is needed to get the system running again, but the XP install would have the wrong drivers making it impossible to boot. The question is as follows; is there a way to recover the data in her profile, or decrypt it so that it could be accessed from an alternate windows install on another HDD?

As I said at the top, thanks for any help offered.
Windows 7 RC1 x64 // CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400@3.6Ghz, 1.328v // Motherboard: EVGA 122-YW-E173, 750i SLI // Ram: 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 5-6-6-18, 2.1v // Video Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC @702/1476/1107(2214) // Power Supply: Rosewill 650W RT650-135-SL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:28 AM

If after you replace the motherboard XP won't boot, you can sometimes get it to work by doing a repair install of the operating system.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

You might wish to read this article on moving a hard drive.

You could install the hdd in another computer as a slave drive, assuming it's IDE connection, and transfer her files to CDs or DVDs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Farinhir

Farinhir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:06 AM

If after you replace the motherboard XP won't boot, you can sometimes get it to work by doing a repair install of the operating system.

I understood the problem of the wrong drivers making XP unbootale. I suppose that I could try a repair install, but the last time I saw someone do that it messed everything up. Not sure what they did wrong though. I, myself, have never had that problem and therefore I do not know enough about the process to be comfortable with that at this point.

You might wish to read this article on moving a hard drive.

You could install the hdd in another computer as a slave drive, assuming it's IDE connection, and transfer her files to CDs or DVDs.

As I had stated in my original post, the files are encrypted by windows XP's user profile preferences. It is a SATA drive, but this is unimportant. The problem is that those files, being encrypted, will not be accessible from another computer (unless you know something about XP's encryption that I have not learned yet). However, having scanned that link I think it might give me the guidance needed.

Thanks

Edited by Farinhir, 23 October 2008 - 02:10 AM.

Windows 7 RC1 x64 // CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e8400@3.6Ghz, 1.328v // Motherboard: EVGA 122-YW-E173, 750i SLI // Ram: 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 5-6-6-18, 2.1v // Video Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC @702/1476/1107(2214) // Power Supply: Rosewill 650W RT650-135-SL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users