1) when copying files over, it hangs and then locks up my entire system. No response to keyboard or mouse, I have to pull the plug on the drive before my system frees up again.
2) I tried a number of different USB cables, again the same problems. It works fine for a while, then locks up again later on.
3) after doing a google search, I find that WD has issues with power consumption and their USB to SATA connection used on the Passport drives so I decided to pull the drive out and replaced the enclosure with a Vantec NexStar CX case. This worked for a week or so.
4) the same problem comes up again, so i try the y-cable that came with the Vantec case. It has two USB connections to draw power from a second USB port. No luck either.
5) lastly, i disabled the Reduced Power Spinup jumper (this is the factory setting) and it worked for a while until just now when mid-transfer the drive just powers off.
I use this drive on a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP Pro. The drive it self is a WD Scorpio Blue 1.5Gb/s. I have run Check Disk as well as deleting the partition, nothing seems to be a fix to this. There were no errors on the disk. I've also connected it using every USB port on my computer. Is this an issue with Passport drives or just my bad luck of getting a bad drive? Any one else have problems like this before?
Edited by kpw001, 22 October 2008 - 08:55 PM.