Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best way to contain thumbdrive virus.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

my friend recently just got a virus on the thumbdrive after it was plugged in to the sch's network. i was thinking of removing it for her, but it may spread to my computer after plugging it in. i'm not sure if it's the same virus i've worked with, but the previous time i was able to use policy controls to prevent the virus from spreading to the specific com.

assuming the virus autoruns ( even though autorun is disabled ), what's the best way to stop it from mutating, and also copy the infected documents over but at the same time, clearing them of the infection? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

If you hold down the shift key when you plug in the pen drive it prevents any Autorun from running (at least it does on XP).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:24 AM

randomystique,

Recommended reading:

Prevent Viruses from Infecting USB Flash Drive or Pen Drive
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/15/p...e-or-pen-drive/