Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A really bizarre freezing problem- unable to open anything!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 clarky1983

clarky1983

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

I've just encountered this problem this afternoon and I'm totally at a loss how to solve it. I am pretty desperate for some help- PLEASE!

The problem is as follows:

I am unable to run any program or open any file on my computer. XP will load as usual and appears to be fine until I attempt to run any program (I first noticed it when trying to open IE). The computer refuses to load any program and the loading icon never appears. The loading light on my computer will flash for about a second and then stop (as if it has loaded the program/open the folder etc).

The problem first arose this afternoon when I had finished on the internet and went to switch the computer off. Accidentally putting it on standby instead, it beeped at me- as if a key had been held down too long on the keyboard. I then had to reset the computer by holding down the power button and restarting. It has not worked since then. This info may be irrelevant but I was unsure!!

Nothing works- I have tried (thus far) IE, antivirus, all desktop shortcuts and my documents. I can open the windows menu but no program within that menu.

Strangely my LAN connection properties (in the bottom right of the taskbar) are the only thing I can open without freezing/crashing the computer. It also informs me that my connection speed is 10.0 mbps (and not 100mbps as it usually is) and that I am still connected to the internet. I am obviously unable to test this however as I am unable to load IE!!

I am really loathed to remaster as I have about 3gb of photos on my HD that are (stupidly) not backed up (yet!)

AS previously stated I am unable to open any antivirus software to check for spyware etc.

Any help would be most appreciated- I have spent much of my afternoon unsuccesfully booting up and restarting my computer!!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bretled

bretled

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

I think I might be able to help you as I had been through a hell of a time with the same problem last week. Its nothing but a dangerous Trojan that has made this. Luckily as you said you can access the internet. Search for "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" software from Google, download it. Open it from the download dialog box and run. Disconnect internet first. It would scan thoroughly and then would ask you for a restart to delete some of the files. Once done you should be able to see things getting normalized.

Do let me know if this helped!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Reboot your computer to the Safe Mode menu by repeatedly tapping the F8 key while it boots. Once at the Safe Mode menu select "Last known good configuration".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 clarky1983

clarky1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:35 AM

Bretled,I am unfortunately unable to access the internet. I am officially still connected but IE will not open. Therefore I am unable to download any spyware removal. I have Kaspersky Internet Security on the computer but I am unable to run the removal operations as I cannot run anything! It's a really frustrating problem. I thought about downloading "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" from another computer, burning it onto a cd and then using that on my stricken computer. It didn't work, as my PC refuses to load anything.

Budapest, I've (stupidly) actually not even considered using safe mode yet; I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes. I'll be kicking myself if it does work- though I'll clearly be a lot happier!

#5 clarky1983

clarky1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

Budapest,

No joy I'm afraid with last good configuration (safe mode). Any other ideas? I'm totally at a loss as to what I can do!!

#6 clarky1983

clarky1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

I can now get into safe mode and the computer is working okay but only in safe mode. I have installed and run Malwarebytes but this has also failed to work.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

Try running chkdsk in Safe Mode.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 clarky1983

clarky1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

That hasn't worked either.

My computer is apparently virus/malware/spyware free- I've scanned the C drive using Norton, Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D . As I've previously stated, everything works fine in safe mode but as soon as I restart and go into Windows proper, it either freezes or takes a ridiculously long time to load anything (i.e. 10 minutes to open up My Documents) and then freezes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users