Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows me help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 garquillo

garquillo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

I have an older computer that I haven't used in a while and now I find that I can't get it working. After starting the computer up and trying to access just about anything on the desktop I get this error message.
FILE NAME: VMM(06) + 000 1705 ERROR: OE : 002 : c0236705
Can you help me?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

I think u'r Virtual Memory Manager file may be corrupt.

before trying to re-install WinME, try deleting windows swap file and restart u'r computer. if this won't help, as i know the best solution will be a clean re-install after data backup.

#3 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:56 AM

Hey garquillo. Is that the entire error message that you get? Do you also get a module name?

'OE' error message are errors with hardware device drivers and the module name in the message should tell you what piece of hardware is having problems.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#4 garquillo

garquillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

Here is the entire message that comes up:
WINDOWS
AN ERROR MESSAGE HAS OCCURRED. TO CONTINUE:
PRESS ENTER OR RETURN TO WINDOWS OF
PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER
IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL LOSE ANY UNSAVED INFORMATION IN ALL OPEN APPLICATIONS

FILE NAME: VMM(06) + 000 1705 ERROR: OE : 002 : c0236705

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A SWAP FILE IS, OR WHERE TO FIND IT.

THANKS AGAIN,
GERRY

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

Hi garquillo. That's just a generic error message. Can you start in Safe Mode and take a look at the Device Manager to see if there are any components not working properly? If any devices have a yellow exclamation point next to them then that is the culprit.

Cheers.

OT.
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 garquillo

garquillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

Started in safe mode and all the device drivers seem to be working properly. No yellow exclamations in site.
Any other suggestions.
Gerry

#7 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:15 AM

Hi Gerry. If all of the hardware is showing as functioning then it is a driver issue. Try a repair install to fix up all of the drivers. Just install ME over the top of itself.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#8 garquillo

garquillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

I installed Me over again and I am still getting the error message.
Gerry

#9 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hi garquillo. Since you are getting vmm errors then try this:

Windows ME installs a compiled VXD driver called VMM32.VXD which can cause crashes and hangs and sometimes gives a message mentioning VMM. It is supposed to be a compilation of drivers appropriate to your particular PC but sometimes does not work properly. It is replacing other drivers available in ME which can be installed individually into the System folder. The relevant devices will then choose the single driver instead of the compiled one by preference. So, go to C:\Windows\Options\Cabs (or C:\Windows\Options\Instal on some PCs), find Win 20 which looks like a Zip file (its an installation Cab), use an Unzip program to look inside and find these 8 drivers, for example vcomm.vxd, vdd.vxd, vflatd.vxd, vdmad.vxd, vmouse.vxd, configmg.vxd, ntkern.vxd, and ios.vxd Extract these files to the C:\Windows\System directory and reboot. These changes can, in certain circumstances, solve a lot of hanging, crashing, startup and shutdown problems in ME. It is important not to download any other copies of these drivers from websites because they may not be the correct versions for your installation. If this was not your problem, it is perfectly safe to remove these drivers again.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#10 garquillo

garquillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

This didn't work either, I tried in safe mode also.
What next?
Gerry

#11 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Well, the next option would be to reformat and reinstall the OS. If the error still returns then it is hardware related and not software related. Because the error is a general 0E error it could be anything (ram stick, display adapter, network card, modem...the list goes on). The only way to verify which one is to swap the componets out one by one until you have it but that's probably not very cost efficient for an ME machine unless you have the parts laying around.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#12 garquillo

garquillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Can you suggest a good place to find instructions for reformatting?
Thanks so much.
Gerry

#13 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

How about this: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/wi...allme/index.htm

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#14 Aditya

Aditya

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:18 AM

its all about the compatibility problem that ur hardware is facing the virtual system drivers.

Your driver is not generically in touch with system related drivers
thats why u getting that message.

solution try to reinstall system with proper formatting so that well defined space can be set for driver.

sometimes this problem occurs if virtual space for drivers are less.

Reformat is best sol.
.::ASAP::.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users