Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Launch Messenger other annoyances...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Siren99

Siren99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi All. :thumbsup:

I use Windows 2000 Professional. I had a virus a while back and installed AVG; I thought I got rid of everything. But when I boot up, I am getting a "cannot locate MSVCR80.dll"; C: WINNT/System32" error message. This error message also comes up when I try to launch Yahoo Messenger, which I just installed.

I downloaded what I understand is a Beta version of MSVCR80.dll and copied it into my Sustem32 folder, hoping that would solve the problem. The procedure entry point is now coming up as not located. I'm not sure if this is because it's a beta version or not.

I'm not sure what to try now.

Also getting some odd actions in IE when I use it (I usually try to use Firefox). For example, new IE windows will suddenly pop up, nonstop, tons of them. I have to quit IE in Task Manager to get this to stop.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Edited by Pandy, 14 November 2008 - 09:25 AM.
Moved from Windows NT, 2000/2003

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hi Siren99,

It seems that the problem isn't the PC as from what you're describing (system faults, pop-ups) you may still have some malware located in your PC. AVG running on its own would not necessarily find spyware, for instance.

Post a query at this forum on Bleeping Computer and let an expert help you deep scan your computer for well-hidden baddies.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users