Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safety of Routers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xEnvious

xEnvious

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hi. I wanted to know if it's possible for a router to hold any memory for a virus or trojan, etc. to live in. If so, is there a way to "format" the router?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

For the virus part, I don't know but I doubt it.
As far as "reformatting" goes, you can flash (update) the chip similar to flashing a BIOS chip. It also has the same caveat, do it wrong and you have a brick
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

It depends on the router. My router is accessible through a web interface, so at a minimum, it has to have some sort of memory, and some sort of operating software, otherwise it could not be configured. Mine happens to run aversion of Linux, which I can get command line access to. So in that instance, yes, a router could theoretically become infected, but it would be pretty difficult to do, and even more difficult to do remotely, since the router just passes the signal through to the rest of the network, unless one were silly enough to configure remote access to their router.

#4 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

Well I'm just using the simple Linksys BEFSR41 router. Either way, thanks for the information to both garmanma and groovicus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users