Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kubuntu problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Completely new to Linux and I have no clue what I am doing.

So I decided to install Windows inside of WINE.

So I download wine and extract it into a folder on my desktop. After that, I decide to run the .exe...wait this is linux. I open the readme and find a tibit of info that reads:

2. QUICK START

Whenever you compile from source, it is recommended to use the Wine
Installer to build and install Wine. From the top-level directory
of the Wine source (which contains this file), run:

./tools/wineinstall

Ok.... Sounds easy enough, So I run the Terminal and type "./tools/wineinstall" and then it does ....something but always halts at "configure error: C compiler can't create executables"

Help any one?

~Linux newbie who is scared of the Consoul/Command Prompt/Terminal...thing

Also is their a difference between Kubuntu/Ubuntu? If I download something for Ubuntu, will it work with Kubuntu?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 22 October 2008 - 12:29 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

I don't use wine or K/Ubuntu but I don't think you can run windows as a OS in wine, it's more for running Windows apps in Linux not Windows itself. What you probably want is This, be in the Kubuntu repositories as well.

as far as downloading new software, just use Synaptic ( Kubuntu repositories ) and it should give you the correct version for KDE if you're running Kubuntu or Gnome for Ubuntu

Welcome to the freedom of Linux :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

Haha, I just finished installing that when I found out you posted that. :thumbsup: Unfortunatlly, it ate my ram too fast. ;_;

Also it was the C compiler error.

But I fixed it by Installing g++ and updating gcc

Also to be honest, I think my linux is not going to get used as much as I'd like too... Mabey just as my programming OS. ( I like Kate :3)

But I am a gamer so...(Installing windows on a seperate partition as we speak.)

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 24 October 2008 - 07:43 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users