Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning a second hard drive for viruses/malware

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 wish2learn

wish2learn

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

I have installed a second internal hard drive on my PC to make more space.
I have AVG antivirus which scans on a daily basis and I dont know whether it will also scan this second hard drive or whether I will have to do so manually each time? The scanning process itself is lengthy so it wont be practical to do this twice, also - even though i moved a lot of my documents over to the new drive, the scan is still taking just as much time as before which is why I wonder if it is doing both drives...

Please advise,
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

You can set AVG up to Scan My Computer, which covers all Drives, Mate!

#3 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

You can set AVG up to Scan My Computer, which covers all Drives, Mate!

Thanks!...but I still think I have a problem as the scan which usually takes about2-3 hours long now goes on forever, in fact I have to stop it so I can log off - so something is not right.
Any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe I should uninstall/re-install AVG - then configure it to scan the whole computer, maybe its upset but the new driver installation as all was working fine before this.

I'm looking for some advice here,
Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

The length of a scan by an AV program...is proportional to the size of the drives/partitions scanned...the state of the computer...the amount/type of malware encountered...and the database of the program.

If you don't like the way AVG does things, then it might be wise to try some other free AV program, there are tons of them.

Louis

#5 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:25 AM

The length of a scan by an AV program...is proportional to the size of the drives/partitions scanned...the state of the computer...the amount/type of malware encountered...and the database of the program.

If you don't like the way AVG does things, then it might be wise to try some other free AV program, there are tons of them.

Louis

Mmmm, thats interesting - thanks Louis. I use AVG as it was recommended as an excellent choice from guys on this site and others around the Net, I'm not sure there is something else equally as good and it would need to be much faster, as now my drive space is about four times the size - so that answers my original question about whether or not AVG was scanning both drives I suppose.

Louis, my PC was pretty clean and nicely defraged - all was working sweetly until I decided to put in a second drive. Can you perhaps recommend the best way for me to go?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Are these IDE hdds (ATA, PATA) or SATA hdds?

If they are IDE hdds, how do you have them connected?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

SATA 2... I had an open slot to plug into so it was a simple installation, also had to use a Molex to SATA power adapter...

I did a bit of research and dont find anything which is rated better than AVG freeware, and I'm reluctant to move from it if it will compromise my system - just didnt expect this extra long scanning time - looks like it might take a whole day to do which is crazy time :thumbsup:

Please advise.

Edited by wish2learn, 23 October 2008 - 05:56 AM.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

SATA 2... I had an open slot to plug into so it was a simple installation, also had to use a Molex to SATA power adapter...

I did a bit of research and dont find anything which is rated better than AVG freeware, and I'm reluctant to move from it if it will compromise my system - just didnt expect this extra long scanning time - looks like it might take a whole day to do which is crazy time :flowers:

Please advise.

I think that Louis is spot on, the timing of the Scan is revelant to the Data any AV is Scanning.

For example, 40G HDD takes a short time, a 200G takes a lot longer, you don't mention the sizes of the HDDs involved, but there could be your Key?

To check out it, use one of the Free AV scans like these three, see how they compare to AVG in Time? I bet the time is about the same?

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

To adjust the time taken, just save Data onto CD/DVD Disks you rarely use after a Scan, instead of adding HDDs to your Machine? Videos and Music can take up a lot of Space? All that adds to the time taken to Scan.

Edit. One common Problem is a very Fragmented Drive? Make sure ALL Drives are defragged before the Scan, Mate.

Happy Computing.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 23 October 2008 - 07:09 AM.

#9 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

"To adjust the time taken, just save Data onto CD/DVD Disks you rarely use after a Scan, instead of adding HDDs to your Machine? Videos and Music can take up a lot of Space? All that adds to the time taken to Scan."

This is a good idea, thanks mate!
I added 500G to my existing 120G, so its a big jump in space. My PC was nearly full and I do lots of graphics work as well as having a good deal of music - so I need the space.
Anyway it seems pointless to be scanning through the same music files over and over if I could just put them on a series of discs - this is what you are suggesting right?

Im inclined to agree with you about the same time needed for such space and so dont think its worth changing the AVG - but perhaps I could somehow configure it to scan only recently used files...
Is there any point in going over the same files in a scan unless they were recently acessed or modified? I wonder what the security take on this plan of action would be?
Good idea or not??

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

If you put the Data onto Disks it is gone from the AV.

If it is still there the Good AV will still Scan it. Viruses Love to Hide in seldom used Files!

#11 wish2learn

wish2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Thats more good advice - thanks!

Is is safe to assume that previously AVG scanned music that I now put onto discs will stay 'clean' and therfore be unacessable to virus? I want to be sure that if I do this, that playing music via disc will mean it never needs to be scanned again will never be infect-able... Is this sensible?

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thats more good advice - thanks!

Is is safe to assume that previously AVG scanned music that I now put onto discs will stay 'clean' and therfore be unacessable to virus? I want to be sure that if I do this, that playing music via disc will mean it never needs to be scanned again will never be infect-able... Is this sensible?

If you close off the Disks so they can't be overwritten? How can anything over write them?

Maybe someone has more Knowledge that me on this one?

I believe it is just Logical?

How can a Virus overwrite a closed Disk?

Best answer I can come up with, Mate!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

I use AVG 7.5 and a 200GB hdd, it takes about eighteen minutes to scan, this is consistent. Another thing you might consider is changing the time that the scans are running so that they don't interfere with you computer usage.

If you maintain a good firewall and anti virus you shouldn't have too much trouble with infections. There are certain sites that you would like to avoid as they are notorious for being responsible for infections, most all site involving bit torrents is a good example. You can also use AVG to scan any file that you wish to transfer to a CD or other media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I use AVG 7.5 and a 200GB hdd, it takes about eighteen minutes to scan, this is consistent. Another thing you might consider is changing the time that the scans are running so that they don't interfere with you computer usage.

If you maintain a good firewall and anti virus you shouldn't have too much trouble with infections. There are certain sites that you would like to avoid as they are notorious for being responsible for infections, most all site involving bit torrents is a good example. You can also use AVG to scan any file that you wish to transfer to a CD or other media.

If you are still using the Older Version of AVG could explain something? I Noticed when I updated to Version 8 the Scan time increased!

But, removing Data just reduces the Data needed to be Scanned, thereby making it all quicker, also putting Manufacturers of HDDs out of Business? They Have to Sell them to survive?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

But, removing Data just reduces the Data needed to be Scanned, thereby making it all quicker, also putting Manufacturers of HDDs out of Business? They Have to Sell them to survive?

You would have to remove GBs of information to make an appreciable difference in the scan time. Like I said, just change the scan time to a more convenient time for you computer usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users