Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wipe clean

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

hi i have a toshiba laptop xp pro sp3 with genuine windows fully up to date, i purchased the the laptop second hand a couple of years ago unfortunately it came with no xp cd recovery disk through changing hands a time or two and now i want to sell it and upgrade to a newer version, so my question is, can the disk with all my personal files and folders be wiped permanently using something like ashampoo but still retain the os for the new buyer
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

For most practical purposes you can overwrite the hdd several times and the average user will not be able to retrieve any information. There are forensic techniques that that can retrieve information from hdds that have gone through a fire. The only way to insure that any sensitive information is removed permanently is to destroy the hdd, like with a torch.

There are freeware applications like Active KillDisk that will do the job. There are instructions on the sight for the use of this application, and how to make and use the bootable disk.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

I just want to say this in a jovial way.

Most Files can be reclaimed to a Serious person/Authority, no matter what you do. If you think the Files you are worried about may harm you in future Forget it! If they aint a problem use something like each ashampoo for each Data File you want to remove, one by one!

#4 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

dc3,abacus7 thanks for the quick reply, both issues noted and saved,i dont do online banking and ebay is the closest to personal files that i get so ashampoo/Active Killdisk should do the job fine many thanks to you both
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users