Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emptying System Restore Folder Question?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

A long time ago now I found an article here on these forums in regard to emptying ones System Restore Folder in order to speed up the PC. This had to do with turning off System Restore emptying the folder and then rebooting the PC turning on System Restore again and then making a new restore point from that time.

It was a long time ago but does anyone understand what I mean and can explain in a step by step guide on how to do this?. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:48 AM

Simple Safe way to do it.

Go into System Restore. If you have any other Partitions or Slave Drives indicated? On all but C: Drive, assuming that is your Boot Drive, click on each one an turn the slider back to Zero, when asked, if you want to shut down System Restore on this Drive? click OK!

On C: Drive or the Main Boot Drive, just move the Slider back to 3%. Default is 12%.

It will sort it self out quite nicely after that!

:thumbsup:

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hi bluesjunior.
It's not the files in system restore that slows it down as much as the system restore function itself.
If you just disable it to clear it out, then re-enable it, you're back to square one once the folder becomes full again and has to start swapping to make room.
Right click "My Computer". Select Properties>System Restore Tab>Turn Off System Restore, then reboot. The system restore folder will be cleared. If you re-enable it again, on the next reboot, it will automatically start creating restore points. No need to create one manually, unless you want to that is. :thumbsup: You will also see a slider for size adjustment.
I dislike the function myself and have it permanently disabled. I keep full system backups, as well as incrimentals, using third party software on various external drives which affords the luxury of deciding when and what I want to backup. I usually do it 3 times a week, just before shutdown. If your main drive fails, (and there's no getting around that) system restore is useless anyway. It will also restore viruses,malware etc. It's basicly too dumb for it's own good.

Edited by HitSquad, 22 October 2008 - 07:04 AM.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

Thanks guys I emptied it by turning it of, rebooted PC set it to 3% ticked the box to start it again and pressed apply and ok. Hopefully this will help.

The reason I asked this question was, while I was watching the screen when I ran a scan with Malwarebytes it seemed like it took forever to scan the System Restore folder.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Happy Computing, Mate!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users