Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD Drive Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kanyama

kanyama

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

Hi
my bros laptop Compaq nx6110 s/n CUN6030G BX lost the DVD/Cd drive, it is not listed among the my computer Icons. under device manager it has a yellow mark on it.
it can't read an media but can open and close.
any body with an Idea is highly well come

thanks in advance

Kamanya

Edited by kanyama, 22 October 2008 - 05:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi Kamanya

You could try right clicking on the drive in Device Manager and removing it, then rebooting. If Windows does not pick it up automatically, then the following should work.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=ob-31831-1

Let us know how you get on.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 kanyama

kanyama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:11 AM

Hi Rowal5555,
I tried your options but non worked,
I download the firm wire update, when i was loading it brought a massage that "the following file already existed in your computer; C:\program files\gcc4243N_fw\4243 WIN flash.EXE
do you wish to overwrite this file?"
I selected yes for all.
then it displayed
"Cant recognize device"

the version listed was VER 1.0/ REV 000000 Built#00000001

Under device manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drives TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-L462C is highlighted yellow and under other devices with BIG ? Mass Storage Controller highlighted yellow too.

any other suggestion pls!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:04 AM

When you double click on the DVD/CD-ROM in the Device Manager, under Device Status does it say that this device is working properly.

Did you uninstall the drive in the Device Manager as suggested by rowal555? If you uninstall the drive and reboot the installation wizard will recognize it as new hard ware and will look for the proper native drivers for it.

The yellow highlighted areas generally mean that there is a problem with drivers, have you tried uninstalling these and rebooted?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hairyandy

hairyandy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

:flowers: im a member not an expert so this is just a comment

my flash drives disappeared acouple of months ago turns out it was the first symptoms of worms virus trogans they ended up deactivating my up to date antivirus and antispyware so they looked like they were scanning but werent. they got onto it undetected the main ones were mytob worm hellmsn virus virtumonde sci virus

so if nothing else works theres nothing wrong with a virus scan from a new free scanner/virus remover
some virus scanners/removers are in preparation guide for use before posting a hijack this log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

dont forget to change the settings to delete virus and not just scan ... :thumbsup: avast stinger is a good one
hairyandy

#6 kanyama

kanyama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your contribution but I have got the solution in one of the bleeping computer's topic Posted by Chadmcbadp i.e Disc Drive are not Working.
there was a link given by gramanma
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13
I followed the link and realised it aplies to my own situation, thus i need to edit my registry.
after editing, I rebooted the Pc and my DVD/CD Rom drive appeared and working properly.
Thanks you all! :thumbsup:

Kanyama

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:51 AM

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you, you never know who else may be helped by your post.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users