Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous Ink Supply System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

I've just installed a CISS (continuous ink supply system) in my Canon IP4500 printer, but there are a couple of problems. The large black ink cartridge leaked a bit when I first put it in. It wasn't too bad and it's stopped now but the red light under it is flashing (it should be on continuously if it's installed properly). Can anyone suggest what the problem with it might be?

Also, when I try to print I get the following message: 'The printer's cover is open. Close the cover. Ink is running low. View the ink details.' I'm not able to close the cover because of the tubes supplying the ink and I have no idea why it's saying ink is running low. Please can someone tell me how to stop this happening and start printing?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hi Joe.
That printer has cartridge chips that actually count the number of prints and saves it to memory.
It's canon's new way to get you to buy canon cartridges. In short, it doesn't actually know how much physical ink is left in each cartridge. Once it reaches a certain number of prints, you'll get the low ink level warning, even though they're full.
The best way to get around this is to purchase an ink supply system that comes with auto-reset chips included to stop the warnings permanently. You can manually reset them but it will just come back to bite you again.
Did you buy an ink supply system such as this or not?

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

The system didn't come with chips, however I did remove the chips and attach them to the CISS cartridges as per the instructions that were included (although overall the instructions were very poor). Do I need to reset the chips, and if so, how do I do that?

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

The system didn't come with chips, however I did remove the chips and attach them to the CISS cartridges as per the instructions

And there-in lies the problem. You're using the original chips. :thumbsup:
What you ideally want is something like this.
That said, go here. Scroll about 3\4 down the page to where it says "INK CART REFILLING ON NEW ip4200 Printers" and read below. The 4200\4300\4500's are nearly identical. No guarantees my friend and I would highly recommend a better system like what's in the link I left above. :huh:

Do I need to reset the chips?

Thats part of it. You may also have to disable the ink status monitor on the software side as well.
Canon likes to keep things interesting. :huh:

Good luck.

Edited by HitSquad, 22 October 2008 - 09:01 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

As for the lid warning, the tubes are preventing the lid from contacting the lid's microswitch. You'll either have to physically trim the cover so it will close fully or put some tape over the switch actuator
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I've taped over the the switch actuator so I'm now able to print. I do get a warning that one of the ink tanks may have run out, but it continues to print regardless. I'll carry on for now but I'll get a chip resetter if it becomes necessary.

I've been testing the printer and it mostly seems to work OK, but when I printed a high resolution photo on photo paper at a high resolution setting it came out grainier than ususal. Do you know what might be causing that?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Do you know what might be causing that?

Sub-par nozzles or poor ink quality more than likely
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:39 AM

I think I need to get a higher quality system when I can afford it. In the meantime, is it necessary to keep the air filters in the ink tanks all the time? I'm concerned about evaporation.

#9 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

One of the black cartridges just leaked inside my printer so I'm sending it back. This happened a couple of days after installing it and just after I'd sent back another CISS because that leaked as soon as I unclipped the cartridges. I'm starting to think that CISS is a very bad idea.

Would something like this be a good idea instead: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220294495552

Thanks,
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users