Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to troubleshoot a dead laptop?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 mzleen

mzleen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D600, 1GB RAM, intel 1.6GHz processor, Windows XP Pro SP3 and it will not power on. Some of the lights come on and then nothing. I got got the BSOD and it booted a few more times after that and then nothing.

So where do I begin? I don't want to run out and buy a new motherboard when it could be another component. How will I know if it is the MB?

Any suggestions or if you know to any online resources I would greatly appreciate it. I looked on Dell's site and it is like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

Can you boot from a CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mzleen

mzleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

Some of the lights come on and then nothing. The laptop will not come on so I cannot run a CD. I did get it to boot a couple of times after BSOD and not it will not power on at all. I press the power button and few lights blink but no actual powering up.

When I was able to get it on I did the internal diagnostics on it and everything passed. Before ti craped out the next time I was able to get 1 pass in on a memtest. But now nothing. A few flashing lights thats it. The it shuts back off. How do I troubleshoot it to get the power back on so that I can fix whatever problem? Where do I start? I have not installed any new hardware and I promise there is no viruses or spyware.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

Try running memtest86.

You download an ISO file, burn that to a CD (as an ISO), and then use that CD to try and boot your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

Sorry for the double post, but can you even boot the laptop to the BIOS?

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 mzleen

mzleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

Okay here is the situation. As of my post last I was UNABLE to turn on the laptop whatsoever. So no there was no way I could run any CD's or go into the BIOS. And I am thinking that this will occur again.

Last night after I got off of the computer I went and took out the memory, put it back in, used one stick at a time, etc and was actually able to get it to boot. First I went and set it to the last known good configuration and then I continued to boot the PC where it only continued to freeze. I then started a memtest and that froze as well.

Trying to isolate if it was the memory and which stick it was I was able to get a chance to boot using only one stick or the other and BOTH the sticks had a problem, the computer froze each time.

So now what? if I do lose power completely then how would I go about troubleshooting the issue? I ran the internal diags and everything passed. Do i not worry about total loss of power and just try and keep working on it when I do get it to come on and "hope" that it does not freeze?

Thanks!!

Edited by mzleen, 22 October 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

What was the error message noted on Memtest when the freeze occurred?

Louis

Edit: Related post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175729/bsod-and-now-computer-wont-boot/

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2008 - 09:37 AM.

#8 mzleen

mzleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

No errors on the memtest the computer was just frozen. I don't know where to begin to fix the problem. Just keep playing with it and "if" it boots up then try and run tests hoping it won't freeze? If it no longer boots up how do you troubleshoot a dead laptop. I don't want to run around buying parts, not knowing which ones are broken.

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

This doesn't sound like an operating system problem, but more like a hardware problem. Have you asked in the Internal Hardware forum?

#10 mzleen

mzleen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

No I didn't know what it really was at first but I think you may be correct! So I will have to take my question over there. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users