Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIM Constantly Crashing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LizardKing64

LizardKing64

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi guys,
I'm having a problem with AIM (version 6.8.12.4) and Firefox disconnecting from the internet sporadically. I noticed it first with AIM. I'll be messaging people and getting no response. A couple minutes later I see the buddy list window say that the connection failed and it automatically restarts. The problem is that it does this almost constantly now and I basically can't hold conversations through AIM.

I also noticed that Firefox (version 3.0.3) stalls out when loading pages pretty often. Like I'll be watching a video and it will stop downloading the video all together. Or if I click on a webpage it will begin loading it and then stop part-way.

I'm not sure what to make of this problem. I guess could be either hardware or software that's malfunctioning. So far I've tried updating my network card's driver and switching ports on my router. I have an HP Media Center desktop running Windows XP. It's plugged into a Motorola cable modem and a Linksys wireless router, but my computer is plugged into the router. None of the other computers on the network are experiencing any problems. I've had overheating problems with this computer before. Could it be a damaged network card or a damaged ethernet cable?

Thanks for your help! Let me know if you need any more info.
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Correction: The problem is occurring on both of the computers that are plugged into the routers, but the computer using the wireless internet is not having any problems. Broken router?
Best Regards,
Jeff

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

Hi

Have you tried turning the router off for 30 seconds, or

locating the tiny reset hole in the back and using a paperclip to reset it to factory condition, or

possibly you need a firmware update from the manufacturer's site.

You may need to do this for both the modem and the router.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi Rowal,
I tried turning it off for 30 seconds and reseting the router, but there's not much change. I'm not sure how to update firmware, though. I downloaded the firmware file, but I don't know what to do with it.

One interesting new symptom that I noticed. When the laptop is turned off and not accessing the WLAN, everything works perfectly. The laptop is a Mac and the rest of the desktops on the network are PCs.
Best Regards,
Jeff

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hmm. That's a bit strange - the OS shouldn't affect things.

We have some pretty clued up networking guys here, so will hope one of them have an idea what is going on.

To update the firmware, you will have to go into the router and find the option there. On my DLink, it is accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 in a browser address bar and then ENTER, but yours could be a little different - you need to find the instructions.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users