Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does low CMOS battery affect the OS or stability?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pronfs

pronfs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hi all,

I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop (that belongs to a friend who have abandoned this machine for me to fix) that

I'm going to replace the CMOS battery for. Right when I turn the machine on it tells me to press F1 to enter BIOS

because of CMO read error or CMOS checksum error. I am convinced that once I change the battery this

particular problem will be gone. After all it has been used for many years.

Furthermore I have some suspicions though about the nature of this problem. The reason my friend ditched this

machine is because it would not boot up completely -

At some point while the winxp logo is shown during the startup process, a blue screen appears for about a TENTH of a

second, and the computer just simply resets/restarts itself.

My question is, could this problem have anything to do with the fact that the CMOS battery is low?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

p.s. - the laptop itself is spyware/virus free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:51 AM

A Low Battery can certainly affect Start up.

Personal computers also contain a small amount of battery-powered CMOS memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters.

They are quite inexpensive, so a new one is no big deal. After installing you may have to adjust the Time and Date.

Post back and let us know if you have further Problems.

:thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

A common problem that occurs with systems that have failing CMOS batteries is impatience.
Rather than set the date and time correctly, a use may just accept the defaults and go on using Windows.
Then, when programs are installed, they see the old date and assume it's correct.
And a lot of programs have a timeout feature - so resetting the date to the correct value will actually break some programs.

But this is most likely NOT the reason for the blue screen event. I would suggest that you try a bootable hard drive diagnostic to test the hard drive outside of Windows. There's links to the more common one's here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
If you can't find the one for your hard drive (this happens quite often with Toshiba's) use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test.

If the hard drive tests good, then I'd suggest using the Toshiba restore disks to restore the computer and start over fresh. While you'll have to do some updating, it's preferable to trying to figure out each little "nit" in the system. Depending on the Service Pack level, I'd suggest updating your device drivers from the Toshiba website BEFORE updating Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users