Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Master to Slave HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xEnvious

xEnvious

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

I will be reformatting my computer soon, so I need to backup my files such as music, photos, etc. I just wanted to know if it was possible that viruses or malware can jump from one HD to another without me transferring files between the two.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you are asking if an infection spreads from one hard drive to another...on the same system...the answer is yes.

Malware targets a system...it doesn't matter what components are on a system. 100 hard drives in a single system, 100 systems on a single network...malware can spread to each/every one.

Malware doesn't play by the rules of normal file transfer...where I would have to copy or move File A to Drive D, if I wanted it there. Malware has it's own unique method of spreading.

This is almost 10 years old...but, IMO, you may gain by reading it: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/new-users/

Louis

#3 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Ah, I already knew about infections being able to spread through a network.

But how about an infection spreading from one HD to another HD within the same computer? Is it the same deal?

Thanks.

Edited by xEnvious, 22 October 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

I tried to express this before so that you might understand it...it depends on how the virus is being transmitted and to what types of files, IMO.

But I'm no expert on this (or anything else).

The drives are part of the system...it's the system that is infected, not just a drive or a partition. Determining the extent of that infection is something that seems to be only done in light of problems that surface afterwards.

Louis

#5 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Ah okay. Gotcha, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users