Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new computer....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Right out of the box...beatiful...

$4000...top of the line everything...

Probelm is when I bought the dual monitors graphics card, and have both monitors pulgged in, the windows display settings still wont let it go dual monitors...it only detects a generic video card and 1 generic monitor....

Both monitors are plugged in and working, cause I turned it on and vista was using both monitors to display the desktop twice (2 pointers) and all of the sudden turned one off, and only one works now...

I suspected a driver problem, so I go to the ATI website and download the driver, and the website lets me download the catalyst program or whatever, and the driver specifically...

I click on them and say run, and after they finish, even with the close this box when im finished box unchecked, it closes and doesn't load anything....so I went to the file again and tried several times, and then when I click to save the file, it just closes as if nothing was ever pressed...

So i have 2 issues...not being able to download anything
Not having the right drivers installed for the second monitor to work....

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Have you verified which version of Vista you're using (ie 32 bit or 64 bit)?

Next, it's not advisable to select "Run" when downloading something - you won't get any feedback (and, if it's a virus, you've just allowed it to install on your system).

Instead, select Save and save it to your desktop. Once it's there, scan it with your antivirus to make sure it's not infected - then it'll be safe to run (and you can monitor it's progress when installing it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Have you verified which version of Vista you're using (ie 32 bit or 64 bit)?

Next, it's not advisable to select "Run" when downloading something - you won't get any feedback (and, if it's a virus, you've just allowed it to install on your system).

Instead, select Save and save it to your desktop. Once it's there, scan it with your antivirus to make sure it's not infected - then it'll be safe to run (and you can monitor it's progress when installing it).

ya i figured it out...vista was just being itself, and all i had to do was restart my sytesm....

But thats what I was saying, svaing wouldn't even start to downlaod....

And I run the program if it is from a trusted site....like ATI...i will sue the crap out of them if they ever upload a virus onto my machine....

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:56 AM

It's not ATI you've got to worry about (well, not much anyway) - but if someone impersonated the ATI site and uses it for their own, nasty purposes. I've had 3 viruses on my systems since 1991 and only one of them has infected me (the one in 1991) - because I just don't blindly trust anything that I download from the web.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users