Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Problems!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

My friend is having problems with his graphics card, he has a new one and it doesn't work. And he hasn't installed the drivers yet, (trust me he isn't the brighest bulb in the pack with computers.) However he plugged the monitor into the graphics card, then it changed the screen resolution, the monitor went black and said "out of range."

Even when he undid the changing of the resolution it still didn't work. He still has his old one of course... but yea his computer gets ever possible error!

I've tried to help him and stuff, but he can't understand many comptuer instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

Give him this to keep him busy:Uninstall the existing graphics card's drivers.
Open up your computer case and remove the existing graphics card from the motherboard.
Attach the new graphics card to the motherboard.
Install the new graphics card drivers.
Reboot for settings to take effect.
Only 5 easy steps that many people get very confused on. But you, after reading this article, be able to do this process in the correct fashion. Lets Start:

Uninstall the existing drivers - to do this step you will need to locate your computer's device manager. In Windows XP you will need to right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button. Select the Display adaptors (+) sign. Right-click and select uninstall to uninstall the current graphics card drivers. Confirm OK. You will then go through the uninstall process and it might suggest that you reboot your computer before the new settings are to take place. If it doesn't suggest to you to reboot your computer you should do it anyway. After the reboot go ahead and shut it down again.
Removing the existing graphics card - to do this you will now need to open your computer case and locate the existing graphics card. Then unscrew the card from the motherboard case slot and remove the card from the AGP slot.
Installing the new card - with your computer's case still open you will then need to install the new graphics card into the AGP slot. Now with the GeForceFX 5900 there is also a 12v connector that need to be connected to a 12v power supply wire also. Most cards are not like this but incase you are installing the same card as in this demonstration you will need to attach the 12v power supply wire to the card. Then carefully slide the new graphics card into the empty AGP slot and make sure that the snap snaps to indicate that it is in completely. Then screw the card into the motherboard case slot.
Installing the new drivers - to do this you will need to close up the computer case and turn on the computer back on. When Windows establishes that it has found a new graphics card it is time to install the drivers to make it work. Your new card should have came with drivers on a CD-ROM disc or a floppy disk. If not you must visit the manufacturers website and obtain them that way. Go through the installation process and then you must reboot to save the settings. After that you will have completed your graphics card installation
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll give him the instructions and see how far he gets... lol, then i'll step in and help... lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users