Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP3 , Small upside, Major potential downside?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

Dear Community
Bleepingcomputer is, in my opinion, the best site on the internet for advice and help. My bacon was saved from a malware attack last winter with the advise and directions I got here. I use this machine daily in my small business. I am very dependent on it. I try to do nothing to compromise its ability. Now update wants to install SP3. I have reviewed the pinned topic” Windows XP Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information” Scary stuff! Warnings to evaluate the risks associated with work arounds, stop messages, endless reboots, etc. To top it all off they basically say if you do install it you really won’t see any major difference.
I know one needs to stay current with updates but it seems I could go from a perfectly functioning machine to a potential major hassle. I really do not need the chore of putting in days to straighten out something that was not broke in the first place.
This machine is a Dell Optiplex GS620 running XP Home edition SP2
My questions: Is this update really necessary and is there any chance that if I wait a few months the will have a SP3 version that takes care of the potential problems?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Best regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

There almost always seems to be issues when a major update is released. That's why a great deal of people wait a month or more for them to fix the bugs. It was mainly HP not Dell that was having issues, if I remember right. The main thing is to check Device Manager to make sure all of you devices are in working order (no yellow exclamation points) and that you are virus and malware free. I'd also clear my history, cookies, and temp. files.

If you're that concerned about your system, I would get a USB drive and a copy of Acronis or Norton Ghost and image your hard drive
If this is for a small business, I'd be doing that and incremental back-ups anyways
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users