Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of "This program has stopped working" errors on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computeruser1234

computeruser1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hi

On Thursday, after installing some Windows Updates, when I turned the computer back on I got loads of errors saying so and so program had stopped working. I tried system restore, the first few restore points made no difference but then after one restore, the computer wouldn't get past the login screen. It wouldn't work in safe mode either: it wouldn't get past the login screen. System restore on the Vista CD wouldn't work either. I did a memory check on the RAM (two sticks, 1GB each) with the Ubuntu live CD and that popped up loads of errors. I eventually pinpointed the errors to one of the sticks of RAM by taking one stick out at a time.

Using the working stick of RAM, I used system restore to restore to a few days before the problems started. This worked, and enabled me to log in. However, I still get the error boxes on startup. I also got a Norton Error (0x000003E8 and 3035,6 are the error codes) but I've since fixed that with a fix from their website. I've attached a screenshot of all the error boxes that appear. Windows Live Messenger is one of the programs that crashes, and the same error box comes up if I try to open Messenger from the start menu.

Also, when I was trying to run the Norton fix, it said to disable user account control. I did this, but then when I tried to open Internet Explorer (so I could run the fix, Norton says you have to use IE, not Firefox), it immediately came up with "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and it wouldn't open. Enabling user account control fixed this, and I managed to run the Norton fix by running IE as "Run as administrator".

I've since used the Memory Diagnostics tool in Vista, and that's confirmed that one of the RAM sticks and not the other, but it took the extended check to spot the error.

Any help to get rid of these errors and to get my PC running smoothly again would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

I would suggest uninstalling the applications that are giving errors, then reinstalling them. I'd suspect that the corrupt memory caused a corrupt installation of them.

Here's what I found:
- Windows Live Messenger
- NSWRTPROC usually belongs to products from this company: http://www.newsoftinc.com/
- CTHelper usually belongs to Creative SoundBlaster products
- Norton Security - I'd ditch the whole thing, but if you're determined to keep it, use the Norton Removal Tool to remove all traces and then reinstall it.
- Asus DH Remote software - uninstall it from the Control Panel and visit the Asus website for an updated version
- CTXFIREG - SoundBlaster again
- CTXFIHlp MFC - SoundBlaster again
- NSWRTMON - same as NSWRTPROC
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi

On Thursday, after installing some Windows Updates, when I turned the computer back on I got loads of errors saying so and so program had stopped working. I tried system restore, the first few restore points made no difference but then after one restore, the computer wouldn't get past the login screen. It wouldn't work in safe mode either: it wouldn't get past the login screen. System restore on the Vista CD wouldn't work either. I did a memory check on the RAM (two sticks, 1GB each) with the Ubuntu live CD and that popped up loads of errors. I eventually pinpointed the errors to one of the sticks of RAM by taking one stick out at a time.

Using the working stick of RAM, I used system restore to restore to a few days before the problems started. This worked, and enabled me to log in. However, I still get the error boxes on startup. I also got a Norton Error (0x000003E8 and 3035,6 are the error codes) but I've since fixed that with a fix from their website. I've attached a screenshot of all the error boxes that appear. Windows Live Messenger is one of the programs that crashes, and the same error box comes up if I try to open Messenger from the start menu.

Also, when I was trying to run the Norton fix, it said to disable user account control. I did this, but then when I tried to open Internet Explorer (so I could run the fix, Norton says you have to use IE, not Firefox), it immediately came up with "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and it wouldn't open. Enabling user account control fixed this, and I managed to run the Norton fix by running IE as "Run as administrator".

I've since used the Memory Diagnostics tool in Vista, and that's confirmed that one of the RAM sticks and not the other, but it took the extended check to spot the error.

Any help to get rid of these errors and to get my PC running smoothly again would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Are you using Norton Internet Security version 2007 or 2008? The 2007 version did require some patches to be Vista compatible. Either way, as long as you have a valid subscription to Norton Internet Security 2007 or 2008, you are eligible for a free update to the 2009 version.

I would suggest that you first follow usasma's instructions and remove the other programs that are causing problems at startup.

As far as Norton goes, your best bet is to follow the instructions below to properly remove and then reinstall (update) to the 2009 version which is highly encouraged. Please make note of your Activation key and Norton Account credentials first. You will need this information for the installation of Norton Internet Security 2009.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, restart your computer. Log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Follow the instructions on the following page to re-download the latest installer for Norton Internet Security.

Re-download Norton Installer

4. After the installation is complete, launch Norton Internet Security 2009 and select "Run LiveUpdate." When that process is finished, perform a "Full System Scan" with Norton Internet Security to check for infections.

Let me know if you experience any issues.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users