Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Repair CD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hi to all the Bleeping Computer Family !
I have an Emachine W3503, Windows Media Center XP Edition.
After cleaning out many viruses, I can't get the internet to work. I want to do a "repair" using the original "System" disk that came with the machine, but I can't find it.
Can I use a disk from a " Windows Home Edition XP" ?
Is there a big difference between the Media Center disk and the Home Edition disk ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hi to all the Bleeping Computer Family !
I have an Emachine W3503, Windows Media Center XP Edition.
After cleaning out many viruses, I can't get the internet to work. I want to do a "repair" using the original "System" disk that came with the machine, but I can't find it.
Can I use a disk from a " Windows Home Edition XP" ?
Is there a big difference between the Media Center disk and the Home Edition disk ?

Best to contact the Supplier for a Replacement Disk, unless you want to start all over again? If you want to start all over again, I suggest you Save EVERYTHING onto CD/DVD Disks first.

The moment you put in an incompatible Disk, you could lose the LOT! But then you have to be sure you have a Legitimate Code to activate, once you went through it all?

:thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

What kind of connection do you have for the Internet, and what kind of problem are you having?

It is important to use the recovery disc for that specific make and model, some recovery disc will include driver for the specific motherboard of the computer as well.

Edited by dc3, 21 October 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

Thank you both for your replys. You have convinced me to look harder to find that dern disk. If I can't find it, I will order a replacement one from the supplier.
Thanks a million for your help !!!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

Google "Winsock Fix", download and run, reboot as necessary. Winsock fix resets you internet settings after malware/viruses screw it up, it is worth a try.

You can restore with another disk as long as it matches your original install. IE, XP MCE OEM is likely the disk you need. Use "Magic Jelly Bean" to get your XP key and print it. Don't rely on the Microsoft sticker for the key. Hopefully if it is an OEM disk you might not have to bother with a key, but it always pays to be prepared.

Edited by dpunisher, 21 October 2008 - 12:08 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for your reply ! I have the internet finaly working, and as soon as I get it updated through AVG , it's done. I ran Winsockfix and did some other little fixes and she's working !
Thanks to my family here at BleepingComputer !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users