Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luclancy

luclancy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hey!
My HP pavilion laptop froze on me yesterday, (I use Windows XP) so I tried to re boot....but it hasn't successfully rebooted since...! It keeps giving me the hanging black screen, no matter what mode I try to boot up in! There shouldn't be any virus or bugs on it as I consistantly run Ad Aware, Spybot and AVG 8, which I check for updates on daily. The problem occured shortly after I had tried to download an upgrade for realplayer (which was unsuccessful, and asked me to try again later) and while a web page to a free online games page was open.....any help would be greatfully accepted!!!!
Please note, I can not boot the laptop, so I can't revert to safe mode, or a system restore point, as it won't allow me go far enough to do that!

All help greatfully appreciated,

Lu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

If you have the Startup CD try the following.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

If you have the Startup CD try the following.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Thanks for the swift reply DC3.....have I any options if I don't have the start up disks.....?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Unfortunately, not being able to boot into either modes means that you will have to use the recovery console. You might try calling HP and see how much they will charge you for the CD, I've heard a price of twenty or thirty dollars, but don't know for sure. Maybe someone else here can supply some current information on this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

Unfortunately, not being able to boot into either modes means that you will have to use the recovery console. You might try calling HP and see how much they will charge you for the CD, I've heard a price of twenty or thirty dollars, but don't know for sure. Maybe someone else here can supply some current information on this.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help DC3. I'll look into it!

Lu.

(just on the off chance....if it did eventually boot up for me.....should I revert to system restore to prevent it from happening again..?)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Lu, It there aren't any other members posting there isn't any need to quote the previous post, if there are several members posting the quotes can be used to make sure that the member knows specifically that they are being addressed. :thumbsup:

#7 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Got it, thanks Dc3 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users