Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to this site

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mica

Mica

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

I have just inherited a laptop which has Windows XP. It is Version 5.1 - Service Pack 1. Is it
possible to upgrade this so I may run new programs on it? I have looked on the
Microsoft website but it does not list 5.1. Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

Hi Mica, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

The version 5.1 is another name for XP, 5.0 for example is Windows 2000.

If the copy of XP is genuine and the computer is set up for automatic updates it should start the updates. I would suggest downloading SP3 first, this will reduce the amount of other updates that will automatically download.

Edited by dc3, 21 October 2008 - 10:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

You can also go to MS Update Site and Manually download, in case Auto Download is not enabled!

I would suggest you do that, then enable Auto Download of Updates there!

Just click on start and look up the top for "Windows Update"

:thumbsup:

#4 Mica

Mica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

If the copy of XP is genuine and the computer is set up for automatic updates it should start the updates. I would suggest downloading SP3 first, this will reduce the amount of other updates that will automatically download.

I don't think it is the original version as I have been onto microsoft site and checked. I am unable to give original key code. I have downloaded some updates but what I really need to do is get a free antivirus like AVG free as I have been told it is very good. I have tried to download but my XP does not support it. Shame, but does anyone know of another freebie
I may be able to download with my system?

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

I don't think it is the original version as I have been onto microsoft site and checked. I am unable to give original key code. I have downloaded some updates but what I really need to do is get a free antivirus like AVG free as I have been told it is very good. I have tried to download but my XP does not support it. Shame, but does anyone know of another freebie
I may be able to download with my system?

Sorry, we can not support non genuine Windows, Mate, by Law!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

To find the product code you can download SIW, when you open this click on Operating System, and go down the list on the left side till you reach Product Code, look to the right to see the code.

The AVG 8.0 is turning out to be a bit of a pain as you will have to manually download the updates before every scan, and the old version will no longer be supported in the near future. I'm going to switch to Avast, it has a very good reputation as well.

I would get the service packs installed before I did anything else, these are more important from a security stand point.

Abacus, why don't we wait and find out if they have the proper product key before we start telling them that we can't help them.

Edited by dc3, 22 October 2008 - 11:09 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

I am out of this one, it is on your head, Mate!

I hope you are right.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Abacus, I have large shoulders, I think I can bear the weight of this. :thumbsup:

The bottom line here is that we have not established that this member has installed anything yet other than trying to get updates. The SIW will provide us with the information to find out if this is a legitimate copy or not.

Edited by dc3, 22 October 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Mica, what browser are you using when you try to download the updates, and are these automatic or manual updates?

#10 Mica

Mica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

I managed to find the product key - it was taped underneath the laptop! I've successfully downloaded SP3 now and it has downloaded automatically 64 updates! Guess it must have been a while since it last updated. However, I have a problem with the size of the font. I can barely read what I am typing as it is so small! I have tried going to control panel and display and choosing extra large fonts but still it is minute. Any suggestions? Dont tell me to get glasses as I am already wearing them!!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

Out standing!

What application are you using that the font is so small?

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

hold down the 'Ctrl' key and use the mouse wheel to increase the font size?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 Mica

Mica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Out standing!

What application are you using that the font is so small?

Application? Could it be Internet Explorer 6? Sorry I am far from computer literate!

#14 Mica

Mica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

hold down the 'Ctrl' key and use the mouse wheel to increase the font size?

Thanks for info but don't have a mouse! Is there a longer way around to change it?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

If you have a laptop, you may have a touchpad...which some use in lieu of a mouse.

Who is the manufacturer...and what is the model designation for the laptop?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users