Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Molex to PCI-e

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hi all,
I've recently had a new computer build with a 8800GT as my graphics card, which uses 2 pci-e cables from the PSU, only, because my psu only has one, ive had to use a 2 molex to PCI-e adapter, and I think it is this adapter that is causing my computer to completly freeze.

Ive been having a look at adapters and have found this one :

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/pro...-189-120-02.JPG

As you can clearly see, this adapter has 6 pins. however, the one I am using on my 8800 only has 5 pins... Is there an explination for this? Am I using an older adapter and therefore only has 5 pins or is this picture i found on the net incorrect...

Thanks

Mod Edit: Topic moved from Windows XP to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 21 October 2008 - 01:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 peterdiva

peterdiva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:11 AM

I have two of the adapters and both have six pins, but only five are wired. The middle one furtherest from latch is empty. One of the adapters came with the PSU to allow SLI, so I don't think it should be a problem (I'll also be needing it soon). You'll get a warning if the card is underpowered.

#3 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

Cheers for the reply
yeh mine are like that, only 5 wired... What kind of warning would i get?

#4 peterdiva

peterdiva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:56 AM

A window will open up.

Attached Files

Edited by peterdiva, 21 October 2008 - 04:56 AM.

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:21 AM

ah ok thanks man you've help me eliminate a concern of mine... now i just gotta find out what else is making my computer freeze up lol cheers

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

The fact alone that your power supply has only one connector for your video card suggest it is underpowered and causing problems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

I have a 500W PSU which is more than enough for a 8800GT

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Off chance those molex connectors be pulling off of the same rail as the CPU/motherboard. You shouldn't be, but you never know. Most PSUs split up the 20/24pin and the 4/8 pin motherboard connectors to different rails. You might be locally overloading one rail. If it is a single rail PSU, then I don't know.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users