Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Over

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iscariot

Iscariot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

I'm looking to return my laptop to the condition it was in when I received it.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium.
I bought a 500GB External HDD and backed up most of my large files and anything I'd want to hang on to.
I re-downloaded software that I plan to reinstall and put it on the XHDD.

What do I do from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Many mainstream PC manufacturers have system restore discs which will restore the system to it's factory defaults. If that fails, and you have your Windows DVD, you can always format your hard drive and reinstall the OS.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

Dell's instructions:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

I was able to restore it successfully but I'm getting the little or no connectivity message when I try to connect to the router. This was not a problem previously, so I don't know why it is now. I'm using a LINKSYS router. Solution?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

A lot of times when reformatting you can lose some drivers in the process
If you look in Your Device Manager you might see some devices have a yellow exclamation point. This indicates the problem device
This is the download page for your laptop's drivers
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...INS_PNT_PM_1720
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

It turns out I entered the WEP wrong. I had the right numbers, but the wrong order. 5 hours of stupidity on my part. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Another question though. What security programs should I use? I'm currently using McAfee which came with my computer. My school offers a 2 year license on the enterprise edition for free so I was planning on using that.

Edited by Iscariot, 22 October 2008 - 09:25 PM.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

We all learn this way 'Iscariot' - thanks for telling us your story!

Don't be a stranger here?

//edit: although the McAfee is a bit resource heavy, I'd use it as long as it's free to you.

Check this thread for other free apps? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by KoanYorel, 22 October 2008 - 09:30 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:02 AM

The issues that we see at work with McAfee are similar to the issues seen with Norton. They are (mostly):
- the system will slow way down.
- problems connecting to some sites on the internet
- other hard to define problems.

The cure is fairly easy. Get a fresh copy of McAfee, then locate the license info that will allow you to reinstall it properly. Then uninstall the current McAfee programs from the Control Panel, then run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool ( http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens...atches/MCPR.exe ). Reboot the computer and reinstall the McAfee products.

More info is available here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users