Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 awalker626

awalker626

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

My DSL connection is about 100Mbps (use a Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router). But of course, my wireless card in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501) maxes out at 54 Mbps. Is there a card I can replace it with to boost that speed? I'm just curious if something like the Linksys High-speed Wireless-N Adapter would make any difference, or if I would need to replace my 1390 WLAN Mini Card. I'm not a total wireless/networking noob, but I only know a little more than the average person.

Any input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:53 AM

I do not think a wireless connection will achieve the maximum labelled speed but I could be open to correction here however. I have used both wireless and Ethernet on my laptop on different occasions and found the highest speed was achieved via wired Ethernet.

Maybe a techie will be able to cast some light on this

#3 awalker626

awalker626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yea I expected that much. I was just wondering if there's a way to increase the max wireless speed. I mean why make a wireless router than can transmit at over 120Mbps if you can never have a wireless connection that fast?

#4 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

I think the most you will get from your wireless card is 54Mbps and if you are achieving that consistently you are doing well. Just as there is a lot of hype about very fast broadband speeds being available - when the reality is that they are limited by the capacity of your phone line, other users, time of day, distance from exchange, etc etc, the same probably applies to the marketing of wireless speeds. My Belkin wireless router is similarly badged as an 802.11G 125 High speed mode 2.4 GHz wireless and I expected to be blown away with it. The reality is that it works wirelessly at a maximum of 54Mbps very infrequently indeed and the only reliable speed of 100Mbps is achieved by wired Ethernet. Wireless is a big let down for me and has recently been slower than broadband on occasion - now there's a thought!

#5 awalker626

awalker626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

I know that with my wireless card I'm only going to get 54Mbps as it is a 54Mbps card. My question is whether the 100+Mbps adapters are worth a try, or if I can replace my current wireless card with a faster one. But apparently no one here that knows that answer is going to reply.

#6 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

Would suggest "Googling" for advice on your options. I have also failed to receive assistance with my question and may join you there!

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users