Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cachao_33

Cachao_33

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:44 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this board. I really need your help. I'm just starting to mess around with my computer and trying to upgrade it. I had a failure with my old Hard Drive and decided to buy a new one. My old drive was 60GB so I decided to upgrade to 160GB. I run a Sony Model/Pentium 4 (about 3yr old) with a XP Home Edition. I went to the local computer store and bought a Seagate 160GB HD. I started to install it and since I had a FAT32 File System before decided to use the same type. It wanted to partition my drive so I let it. After everything was installed, I rebooted and everything looked fine. I wanted to check my disk space but found out that it was only showing 8GB of space total. How can I fix this problem and get the rightful amount of space it should have?
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:13 AM

check u'r hdd manual.
you may have to adjust your hdd jumper settings.

jbravo

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

Tell us all the specs of your system please. If it is only 3 yrs old there should be no HDD limits in the BIOS. When you look in the BIOS what size drive does it report?
In most systems you access the BIOS by tapping the 'Del' key at startup although some systems differ (do you have a motherboard manual - it will tell you the correct key).
The 'Basic' page of BIOS configuration will show you what hard drives and CDROM drives the system detects - there may be a special page called "Auto detect Hard Drive' but make a note of the Basic settings before you use this. Then use "Auto detect Hard Drive' or set the hard drive entry in the 'Basic' page to AUTO and check what size of drive it is detecting.
I suspect that the drive was not auto-detected when it was installed and to recover its full capacity you are going to have to reformat it and re-install the operating system again.

Let us know how you go. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Cachao_33

Cachao_33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for your input. I will work on the solutions you all have suggested this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

#5 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

super-large hard drives like this can display incorrectly when formatted with a FAT file system- there are any number of reasons, but it is unlikely that your hardware won't support the drive size, if it's only 3 years old. so its probably a brain freezy by the HDD or an incorrect partitioning.

after trying the above suggestions, use XP's Disk Manager to have a look at the partitions on your drive.

Right-click on My Computer>Manage>Storage>Disk Management

this 'snap-in' utility will tell you the volume name, drive letter, total byte size, and partition information- there maybe the answer to your mystery.

add.- you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever if you simply decide to reformat the drive as NTFS, and there are several advantages to doing so, so that may be your quickest way out
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#6 Cachao_33

Cachao_33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

I wanted to thank all of you for the support and helpful hints. Fortunately, unfortunately what ended up happening was that my system was not able to support more than 132 GB because an operating system designed before 2001 can not handle Hard drives of larger storage than 132 GB without having a PCI card installed and attached to the new Hard Drive. I had to find this out the hard way by reading further into the manual of the new har drive.

thanks guys.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

Assuming that is your problem then you should still see a 132Gb hard drive not an 8GB one!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

Actually, you should see a 128GB hard drive (out of 149GB binary size) if you have a limit. I've installed up to 250GB drives in XP boxes before with no problem, one saw 128GB in the BIOS but a full 186GB (true size of a 200GB) in the Storage management tool, the other just had to be mounted.

Win98SE (and other DOS-based FAT32 implementations) balks at over 64GB per partition, but you can make as many of those as you need. WinXP may still recognise the additional 21Gb as a second partition (in either NTFS or FAT32) after installing your drive, even with a limit.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users