Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into Master Hard drive from Windows XP Home edition install disk

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hi to All; I am new to the forums; here is my problem, My number 2 (upstairs computer) boots to a Gateway Splash screen with (F-2) and (F-10) in the lower right corner. F-2 Brings you into the bios

and F-10 doesn't seem to bring you anywhere.

I believe the Bios is American Megatrends Inc. with no updates. I can get into and move around in the BIOS just fine but os will not boot any further than this screen.

If I boot from the Windows Operating installation disk (Win XP Home edition SP 2) Then It hangs at The Windows screen for about 5 minutes then It automatically boots into the install disk which

then begins the loading of the system files and brings you into the screen where Microsoft asks you; Do you want to install? Press Enter!

Do you want to repair from the Console? Press ® Do you want to exit installation disk now? Press (Y).

I press enter to to begin the win xp home install and I immediately get this message:

Set-up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard diskdrives are powered on and are properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configurations is correct. This may involve running a manufacturers

supplied diagnostic or set-up program.

There are two hard drives on this computer. They are: Western Digital 120 GB IDE set as master and a Seagate Barracude IDE 40 GB hard drive set as slave..They worked well for me since 2004

or 5.

The computer is a Gateway desktop 700 model with: Intel 850 series MOBO with a Pentium 4 processor (Northwood Chipset) 2GHz...bus speed 400 MHz..Cache Ram 512 MB..Total Memory 768

MBs of Rhambus Ram..Samsung PC-800 ... Memory Bank 0-128 MB
Memory Bank 1- 128 MB
Memory Bank 2- 256 MB
Memory Bank 3 -256 MB

ATI Radeon 9500/9700 Pro Video card AGP4 with a Philips 19 inch LCD wide panel color monitor resolution set 1024 x 768.

I am connected to the internet via satellite and i have a small wireless network setup through a Lynksys Router which runs two other computers, 1 powerful desktop and one laptop and they are both

online now (No Problems).

I use Symantec Corporate gold Antivirus and Corporate Gold Firewall on this machine along with SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, Window Defender all updated to the point that I no

longer could boot into the OS and I use Diskeeper Pro as a Disk defragmenter

I have two options here. I would like to find out why I can't re-format and re-install Win xp home on this confuser; solve that problem and then I would like to install a new western Digital 320 GB EIDE,

format it and install my win xp home edition on it .perhaps use the WD 320 as a master and use thw bWD 120 as a slave.

But first things first: How can I get my WIN XP to install on present system?

Thankyou very much in advance!

ranger72
:thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

When I've encountered similar illogical circumstances...it was a RAM situation.

I'd check that first, it's one of the few things which can prevent an XP install.

How To Use Memtest86 - http://shsc.info/Memtest86

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Louis

#3 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

Thank you hamluis for the reply.

I went to the first link and read it. I don't understand how I can use memtest86 because I can' get into the win xp home Os at all. Is there something obvious that I'm not understanding about this program? I will read it once again and see if I am missing something about how memtest can be booted and used.

Thank you for your patience.

ranger72

#4 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

Can I load this memtest onto a cd-rom from another computer and then boot from that cd-rom onto the computer that doesn't run properly and test it that way?

Thanks ,

ranger72

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

What you need to do is...take the .iso file which you have downloaded and burn it with an .iso-burning program. I use ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm but any iso-burner program will do.

The iso-burning program will burn a bootable CD from the .iso file.

You need to change your BIOS boot options so that it boots from the optical drive, not from the hard drive which has XP on it.

You then use the bootable CD to run the Memtest series of tests. Memtest is not dependent on the system being able to boot into Windows, it will run its own series of tests...just as the XP Recovery Console is not dependent on being able to boot into Windows.

Louis

#6 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

Thank you once again hamluis! :thumbsup:

I read the support files in memtest86 further last night and found I needed an ISO burning app and so through Google I found another Free and very easy to use app called CDBurnerXP and it is only 3.0 MB in size. http://cdburnerxp.se/

However; You must be running Microsoft .NET Framework for versions 3.5 and above of CDBurnerXP in order for the application to run properly!

So I unzipped the file and burned an iso disk with memtest86 and tried it on the confuser I am using now and it opened right up from restart and started testing this machine.

So I will take the new disk and boot the other machine with it and see where that takes me. If I understand correctly I need to run this App for quite some time; like 7 or 8 hours.
Is that correct?

In the meantime I will try to get it going on the other machine and I will let you know how it progresses.

Thank you very much for your help!

ranger72 :flowers:

Edited by ranger72, 21 October 2008 - 08:48 AM.

#7 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

hamluis

I had no problems booting the memtest86 disk and the test seems to be running properly on the machine I am trying to fix. I will run this test all day and post the results tonight.

ranger72

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

The length of time that a user runs Memtest...is, IMO, variable.

In my case, it stopped very quickly on errors. When that happened, I started changing the modules which I had configured (I had 4 modules but only 2 RAM slots), trying to find a combination which did not have those semi-immediate errors.

Once I found a pair that would run through a complete pass (about 2.5 hours on this system), I took note of the differences between combinations (3 modules were PC3200, while 1 module was PC2700)) and realized that the PC2700 ran fine with any other module...but no two other modules ran without errors.

In short, the minimum I would suggest would be 1 complete pass, while the guidance provided in the link suggests running it overnight or so (assuming that errors don't stop the passes).

So my goal would be a minimum of 1 complete pass with no errors.

FWIW: Ultimately, I found that I could run the other modules...by lowering my bus speed in my BIOS (the same effect which occurred when I used the PC2700 module with a motherboard which was spec'd as running PC3200. That satisfied me, since the other modules were twice the size of the PC27000 module.

Louis

#9 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

These are the results of the first pass of the test:

MEMTEST - 86 v.3.4

Pentium 4 (0.13) 1994 MHz

L1 Cache : 16k 16344 MB/s Test 2

L2 Cache : 512k 13994 MB/s Testing 120k - 768M

Memory : 768M 1129 MB/s Pattern

Chipset : INTEL i850 (ECC : Disabled} / FSB : 99MHz

WALLTIME CACHED RsvdMem MemMap Cache ECC TEST PASS ERRORS ECC ERRORS

1:02:41 768M 168k e820-std on off std 1 0 nothing listed

PASS COMPLETE, NO ERRORS, PRESS ESCAPE TO EXIT

(ESC)Exit ©Configuration (SP)Scroll_Lock (CR)Scroll_Unlock

I will keep the test running until you advise stopping the test.

If it seems that there is nothing wrong with the RAM then I wonder what the next step would be in trying to re-install WIN XP HOME on the harddrive?

Thank you very much!

ranger72

Edited by ranger72, 21 October 2008 - 11:45 AM.

#10 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Memtest86 just finished its second pass with the same results. No Errors again.

thanks,

ranger72

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Seeing how your memory passed, it's time to check the hard drive. First, do the drives show in the BIOS? Unplug the slave drive and retry to see if that makes a difference. Go to Western Digital's support site and download their diagnostic utility and run that.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=6&lang=en
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi garmanma,

Thank you for your help.

I will get on that now and let you know

ranger72

#13 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

[size="3"][/size]Under My BIOS setup utility the Boot configuration:

1) reset config data [no]
2) numlock [on]
3) ISA Enabled Bit [enabled]

The Peripheral Configuration is as it always has been

IDE Configuration

IDE Controller [both]
Hard disk pre-delay [disabled]
PCI IDE Bus Master [Enabled]

Primary IDE Master [not installed] Drive installed-[not installed]-type-[auto]
Primary IDE Slave [not installed] Drive Installed-[not installed]-type-[auto]

Secondary IDE Master [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8] type-[auto]
Secondary IDE Slave [LITE-ON LTR-401255] type-[auto]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe my Primary IDE Master and Slave are my hard drives. The BIOS shows that the drives are not installed but I can insure you that both the physical drives are there and they are connected to the MOBO and the Power Supply. The secondary IDE Master and Slave are connected to the CD-ROM optical drive and the DVD-ROM optical drive.

I have just purchased a new 320 GB WD EIDE Caviar Blue hard drive which has the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools Version 11.3 CD-ROM and booted it from the optical drive (both of which work) the drive reads the disk but I can't grt it to run beyond a command prompt which asks me if I wish to ABORT, RETRY, or EXIT.

It recognizes the optical drives but not the hard drives.

Do you still want me to disconnect the slave hard drive?

Thank you so much for your help!

ranger72

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

It could be the IDE bus is bad (doubtful) or the cable can get stiff with age, and maybe work lose at the connections. Especially at the motherboard. A new cable is worth a try
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

i have noticed that the secondary ide cable which connects the optical drives together and to the power supply and MOBO has split vertically a little bit between the wire runs right where it plugs into the optical drives; however these drives still work..I think I will take the cables out and inspect them more closely..The ide cables are original equipment from 2002..But for the 20 bucks each that they cost it probably would be to my advantage to replace them with new ribbons.

is there a way to test the bus the way this machine is running now?

Are the ribbon cables or the bus the only hardware which would keep my hard drives from being seen in the BIOS things being what they are?

thanks very much.

ranger72

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users