Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cachao_33

Cachao_33

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this board. I really need your help. I'm just starting to mess around with my computer and trying to upgrade it. I had a hard drive failure with my old HD and decided to buy a new one. My old drive was 60GB so I decided to upgrade to 160GB. I run a Sony Model/Pentium 4 (about 3yr old) with a XP Home Edition. I went to the local computer store and bought a Seagate 160GB HD. I started to install it and since I had a FAT32 File System before decided to use the same type. It wanted to partition my drive so I let it. After everything was installed, I rebooted and everything looked fine. I wanted to check my disk space but found out that it was only showing 8GB of space total. How can I fix this problem and get the rightful amount of space it should have?
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

You probably would have been better off going with the NTFS version rather than the FAT32 filesystem. However, even FAT32 will support large hard drives. Check out this article on the difference between FAT32 and NTFS: NTFS_FAT

As noted on This Page, I don't think you can initially format a partition larger than 32 gigs with XP. Although you can probably create more partitions, and there have been a lot of discussions about the effectiveness of that in here lately, would it be possible for you to re-install Windows from scratch and format the drive for a NTFS system? Keep in mind that any files you had on a FAT32 system will still work on an NTFS. (New Technology File System)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users