Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB keyboard not recognized when installing winXP SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chagousa

chagousa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

Hello,
I have a big problem with my PC.
I'm trying to install a fresh copy of windows xp SP2, in my PC that crashed.
I connect the keyboard, mouse, and LCD video (no internet so far) to my pc,
I put the Windows cd in the drive, and when it asks "to load from CD press any key", i do that, and the windows cd drivers start to load...I can also get to the BIOS with no problem.

Then I get to the point where the system is getting ready to start windows, and the NUM key in my keyboard goes out, and I'm not able to press the required input, Enter, R or F3 to start the loading of windows.

I have a P4 PC 528MB RAM, Dell Dimension, 3100/E310, it has no PS/2 inputs, so I can only do this using my USB ports.

any help will be appreciated,

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

If you have the USB legacy option in the BIOS, make sure it's enabled
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 chagousa

chagousa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for your reply,
Actually, after doing some research, I found the answer,

When you do an installation like this (fresh Install), only one of your USB ports is working, so I tested out all USB ports and ran the CD installation, until I found the enabled USB port. A co-worker told me that it is usually the one closest to your network connection....this worked, I was able to Press Enter and install windows xp again...the machine is running great now.

thanks for your help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

Good to know. Thank you for sharing the fix with others
Glad it's working
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users