Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory difference?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi there,
i just bought this RAM module for a Dell Dimension 2100.
Using the Memory Configurator here it told me i should buy this RAM but the other one was easier for me to get as i could collect it.
Is there a difference between these 2 as the new RAM doesn't work and i'm wondering if it's DOA or i bought the wrong RAM.
When i say it doesn't work, the PC turns on as does the monitor, it gives a beep as if to say the amount of RAM has changed but there's no picture.
It still works fine with the old RAM just not with the new or a combination of both.
Cheers for any help/advice,
Steve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

One has a lower latency (2 tick vs 3 tick), but other than that they spec out the same. Should not be a problem. The mobo will read timings and set accordingly to the higher latency.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Crucial has a UK site
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
Lifetime warranty
Free shipping in the US, not sure over there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

It should work. See if you can find another computer to try the stick in.

Like you mentioned though, it may just be a bad stick. I've gotten bad ram before :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

I misread your post.

Swap the RAM and see if the new stick works by itself. I have run into problems with laptops (especially ATI chipsets) that were picky about RAM. Sometimes you just have to "swap and pray". I hate that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

Well i managed to find another system to try it in and it works fine. Is there a reason anyone can think of that this won't work in the Dell Dimension 2100 but will in the self build? Would it be a memory compatibility problem that happens with Dells like a friend of mine suggested? Apart from the latency i can't see any difference in the specs. The only difference between the 2 chips is the new one is slightly taller but surely this shouldn't affect it running on it's own?
Any ideas?? Don't really wanna buy more RAM and be stuck with this as doubt they'll take it back now the pack has been opened, generally quite strict about this so i'm told.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:23 AM

Years ago someone gave me some Compac Ram, it would not work in my self Built Machine, yet would work in a Compac Machine. I believe Dell bought out Compac?

Ram is a funny thing if not matched up perfectly. For example my previous Machine would not accept double sided Ram, it would show up as being there then it would just Black out the Computer. I installed single sided Ram, that fixed it!

Edit. BTW the double sided Ram worked perfectly in another Machine!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 October 2008 - 04:26 AM.

#8 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

The memory is Kingston Value RAM so shouldn't be system specific. Maybe that's the problem although the old RAM is Samsung which i presumed would be the same.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

I believe Dell bought out Compac?

HP bought Compaq
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

Now that I think about it, I remember trying to put a stick of ram (the older kind like you're using) into an older Dell, which I think was a dimension 2100. The stick was working perfectly fine in an even older system of mine. I tried booting the dell up with the stick in and wouldn't post. I think some of the older Dell's may be picky about this type of thing. I'm not really sure as to what to think, except that just plain old and simple, it won't work. Sorry :thumbsup:

Edited by Sterling14, 22 October 2008 - 04:50 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users